Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

new 4101 owner w/questions

Hello all, I am the proud new owner of a simplicity 4101.I have owned many a deere and still have 3 but this thing looked too cool to pass up.It has 2 hydro levers on the dash for front and rear,3 point, rear pto that works, 60" deck, rear wheel weights. Sheet metal is in great shape no dents or rust.Needs decals and paint. Onan motor runs good, no smoke and 120 pounds compression. Here is my questions: I gave $1350. plus tax for it. Too much? Too little? Also, I have been reading some forums today. everyone says charging system and rear pto are very expensive to fix. Why? and if so can they be fixed and approx. how much. Some advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm excited to learn as much as I can about this monster. Steve PS.sorry for the long letter.

Welcome to the club Steve 4101? are you sure of the model numbers. Maybe a 4040 or a 4041. $1350 is a great price. The police didn't follow you home or looking for you? Parts for the Pow'r Max tractors are hard to find but can be found on ebay or some of the members here often have parts for them for sale. Price depends on what you are looking for but be prepared to pay.

Steve: Your Allis dealer there is quite familar with that vintage of tractors. The 4041 is the equivalant of an AC620. Suggest you buy a service manual as they are a little more complex than the smaller tractors. As you acquire more attachments you will find you need more of these tractors. I have four at present, One with loader, one with snowblower & cab, one with 24Hp Honda, & one spare 9020 plus 2 parts tractors. Kind of nice to turn the key & get on another for a different job. Old kids need toys too. StanD

StanD, Thanks for your reply. I work for Scale Model toys and work with Helle Farm alot. When I told Bobby my numbering mistake on this site, he thought maybe I should go back to deere's. Ha. Can you run a loader ok with no power steering and if so, how hard are cabs and a loader to find and approx. cost. Thanks steve