Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicty Broadmoor vs. Regent

I'm looking to buy my first Lawn Tractor and I called up my local Simplicity dealer to ask for prices. Not only did I get the prices, but the salesman volunteered to bring the two models I liked out to my house (about 20 miles away) this weekend to try them out and see how I like them. Needless to say I'm impressed. Anyway, the two models are the Broadmoor and the Regent. Both have 16 HP Kohler Command Engines, 44" decks, Hydro Drive, three cutting blades, etc... The only differences between these two models I could find - besides the $700.00 price difference - were the following (per the Mfg spec sheet): Broadmoor - 4 gallons gas - 20x10-8 rear tires - Length = 70.25 - Weight = 570 Regent - 2 gallons gas - 20x 8-8 rear tires - Weight = 463 - Length = 68 Not a whole lot of differences to speak of. Yet, the Broadmoor is 107 pounds heavier and $700 more? Maybe the tires and the extra 2 inches of frame/body add up... Any thoughts on these two models? Any comments on the Kohler single cylinder 16 HP engine vs. getting the B&S V-Twin 16 HP also available on these models? Do the tire dimmensions above mean that the Broadmoor has 10" tires and the Regent 8" - or are they both 20" tires with 10" and 8" rims respectively? New to this...

Just a followup to my own post with another difference that would add to the price... The Broadmoor has the new ACT differential whereas the Regent does not. For what it's worth. So is the ACT worth an extra $700?

Maybe some things have changed, but the differences between my dad's Broadmoor and my Regent are not great. The frames are the same, only the Broadmoor uses a different set of holes for a longer wheelbase. The rear wheels are the same diameter, the Broadmoor uses wider tires. The fronts are the same on both. The Broadmoor had an infinite adjustable mower height, the Regent just had five settings. The difference may be in more subtle things like controls, or convenience, that may not appear on the spec sheet. Try them both and make your choice. The one that looks good on paper, may not be the one you want.

Maybe some things have changed, but the differences between my dad's Broadmoor and my Regent are not great. The frames are the same, only the Broadmoor uses a different set of holes for a longer wheelbase. The rear wheels are the same diameter, the Broadmoor uses wider tires. The fronts are the same on both. The Broadmoor had an infinite adjustable mower height, the Regent just had five settings. The difference may be in more subtle things like controls, or convenience, that may not appear on the spec sheet. Try them both and make your choice. The one that looks good on paper, may not be the one you want.

MattO: The Broadmoor has a different hydro tranny(heavier), and a heavier frame. It also has full width rollers on the mower deck. It shares the same frame and front axle design with the Landlord garden tractor. It is a vastly upgraded machine over the Regent and IMO worth the $700 price increase. The ACT is worth it if you: plan to blow/push snow, have a hilly lot, or do lawn chores while the lawn is wet (there are wet/damp spots in your lot). Tire size difference is width of rim. The twin is a smoother than the single. The sound level isn't as fatiguing. The vibration is a little less. The Kohler has hydraulic valve lifters that do not require adjustment. The Briggs has mechanical lifters and requires adjustment from time to time. I have a 18horse Briggs vtwin in my 1995 Landlord and have to do this service. (since I bought used) Ive been told its not a big deal. If you get your machine dealer-serviced, then you'll have to have him do this every other year. Mark in Maryland

Matt, There a number of differences, both are nice tractors. The Broadmore is a heavier tractor, has cruise control, the deck is mounted to the front axle only like the old tractors. The regent has a rigid front axle, a pivoting rear axle, with torsion bars. My personal taste is for the Broadmore, but we have sold a lot of Regents and they have been very reliable, they turn very short and mow very well. Try them and take your choice. I like the v twin, but the Kohler should be just as long lived and reliable. We have seen so little trouble with these Command singles. You can expect more than twice the life out of any of the new families of engines, several reasons. Overhead valves run cooler, more efficiently, oil temps are down as a result, oil pumps and filters, silicon iron castings in the cylinders, more efficient rings and immproved valves. We just don't see the parts business in the modern engines we did in the old generation engines. Try em buy one, feed it gas, grass, keep clean oil and air cleaner serviced and you won't go wrong with either. Good luck, Al

MattO Don't get too excited about the delivered demo, it's probably means there is huge mark up for him to justify it. I have a Broadmoore, 18hp and 50" deck. Cuts nice, but the roller bar is only supported on it's ends. The deck is carried only from the front and even then on a long arm, consequently, the deck is weighted 60/40 rear roller vs. front mount. If you should drive the center of the deck over bumps in the lawn, it will push the deck up by the center of the rollers (rod too). My roller rod bent pretty well last season just from mowing and the constant pressure the center of the roller rod gets as it goes over a bump. Maybe the shorter decks are less prone to the this? The dealer tells me that I must be snagging it on stumps, but that isn't possible as I have no trees to speak of on my property! They also claim that they don't see the problem much (but they stock the new bars at all times!). As far as the axle, I would say it has very good traction. But, I also found out why: It turns out that there it is impossible to lift the deck COMPLETELY off the lawn in the 3" setting because the roller bar will still be on the ground to some degree. If you are in a slippery situation, or stuck somehow, you would have to manually crank the deck all the way DOWN to get the weight off the roller. Not the most convenient feature. It appears that the limited slip rear end is there to compensate for the tractors inherent lack of traction. Also, I highly recommend that you go for a nice long drive on both tractors to see which one is the least uncomfortable to drive. The Broad will only all up and down steering wheel adjustment. Consequently, the only way for a [normal] proportioned human to comfortably hold the steering wheel is to move the seat too far up at which point your knees are banging into the dashboard. I talked to the Simplicity factory and they already know about the wheel position. They told me it's already been taken up in a design focus group, and they hope to reach a concensus on a design change. If I was you, I would wait for the re-design before purchasing. The factory told me the rear ends are rated for 500 hours of reliable service, not much more because they don't even have filters. One other thing, make sure you are satisfied with the cruise control before taking title to the machine. My machine looses 11% of ground speed in "cruise" and two dealers have already told me this can't be changed. I'm stuck with just spending more time mowing. The 18hp V-twin Briggs is awesome! Smooth, powerful, quiter than most any other.

Actually the new Regents do have full width rollers now. I believe the Broadmoor also has the next heavier gauge steel used for the mower housing - or at least it used to. Bravo for the dealer - now that's service! Mel I'm sure the factory will take it into consideration. You must have some bad spots if you have to lower the mower height all the way to for transport clearance or am I not understanding this correctly?