Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B series front wheels

rokon2813

I hadnt thought about till I started looking for a set for a customer. I found them with a 3 1/2" wide hub and 4" bead. I found some with a 4" wide hub and 4" bead. I found some with a 3 1/2" wide hub, 4" bead and holes for weights. I even found a pair with 3 1/2" hub and 2 3/4" bead. Are these all Simp / Allis wheels or did some other manufacturer use the same style bearings in their front wheels? By the way, if you ever need to take a 4.00 x 8" 6 ply tire off a 2 3/4" wide wheel good luck!

Dan I'm clueless[:0]. Now I'm going to have to go out in the snow and uncover stuff and start measuring my wheels. Were you lucky enough to know which ones came from which tractor to doucument year model info on the different sizes? I've shuffled wheels around so much on mine I'd never have positive ID around hereB). Larry

Not really Larry. I do know the 3 1/2" hub 4" bead is off a B 1. The set with wheel weight holes I got just as a set of tires although they did have Simplicity spindles in them when I got them. Same with the 2 3/4" wide bead set. I got it just as a pair of wheels. I do know the 4" hub does not fit well on a B 110. Perhaps the earlier tractors had a slightly shorter spindle?? All the different wheels mentioned had 4.00 x 8 tires on them. I need to pull a wheel off my B 12 and do sonme measuring on that as it came with the wider front tires. I'm not sure when Simp and Allis went to the wider fronts, but that may be where the longer spindles came in??

Went out in the snow bank and checked the wider rims that came with the parts when i got the B-112, the hub is 3.5inches and appear to be a 5 in rim. Still have stiff flat tires on them. Now wondering if they were intended for the 112 or the parts of a Big 10 that came with it. MPH

[img]/club2/attach/reeds/dscn0556m1.jpg[/img] 700,small bushing probably 2 3/4" w 3 1/2" hub, I have another set from another 700 that have a larger dia bushing otherwise identical [img]/club2/attach/reeds/dscn0561m1.jpg[/img] 64 9hp Landlord 3 1/2" hub also probably 2 3/4" [img]/club2/attach/reeds/dscn0562m1.jpg[/img] B12 on right 5"? w/3 1/2"? hub wheel unknown 5 1/4" w 3 1/2" hub notice it's different than the B12's rim [img]/club2/attach/reeds/dscn0558m1.jpg[/img] Later version of B12 rim with weights also with 16x8.50 tires

The wider wheel with the 16X6.50X8 came out on the Simplicity 2012 and the Allis B-12. The wheels a "deep dished." The hubs also were made for tapered roller bearings, like an industrial or automotive application. Boat trailers, too. I often wondered how the front wheels stood up to the weight of a loader on them. I found out when I pulled my first front wheel to change the tire. Any front 8" is a bear to change. I finally took them to a tire dealer to have them changed.

I think proper prep of the wheel goes a long way to making it easier. When I cleaned and painted the front wheels to put ag tires on them, I mounted the tread backwards. When I took them off and remounted them, I put the tires back on bare handed using slightly diluted dish soap for lube....

quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
I think proper prep of the wheel goes a long way to making it easier. When I cleaned and painted the front wheels to put ag tires on them, I mounted the tread backwards. When I took them off and remounted them....
Why didn't you just swap the wheels to the opposite side of the tractor? Wouldn't that have worked instead of remounting tires?

quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
By the way, if you ever need to take a 4.00 x 8" 6 ply tire off a 2 3/4" wide wheel good luck!
UH OH! I am in trouble [:0]