Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

point conversion

i have an allis 210 and the points and condenser are gone and the punger was broke so i'm thinking of changing over to magnatron setup but to do this you have to send the flywheel back to briggs has anyone done this conversion. i just wonder if it is a good idea or not

Bunky, Just did this myself. Shipped the flywheel to Briggs last Monday and got it back on Thursday of last week. Talk about fast service!!! Haven't as of yet had time to reinstall it, but hope to do so this Saturday. See my previous post for mailing address and instructions. I think its back on page 3 now. Best of luck, Todder

Just to keep this going for anyone else in this situation: Bunky (Brian) e-mailed me and said he was told by Briggs that flywheel would be shipped back the same day it is received. But really wanted to know the cost of the new coil. This was my reply; I believe it was around $35.00 Was installed by rebuilder at same time engine was rebuilt. I only wish they had told me about getting the flywheel re-polarized. Had to find this out for myself after reassembling engine and putting back in the tractor only to find out it wouldn't run worth a damn. Had to pull it back out just to get the flywheel off and send it in. About 2 days shot in research and garage time for something they should have told me about or had done themselves. If it all works out I think it will be worth it in the long run. Oh... one more thing, make sure to put the screws back in that held the points. The holes are tapped all the way through the block and will be a major oil leak point if left out. Another thing I had to find out the hard way. Better luck to you or anyone else considdering same, Todder

Please explain. I did a conversion on a B&S 3.5hp engine and I didn't have to repolerize the flywheel nor was there any mention of doing it. Is this unique to certain engines? Thanks, Rudy

I'm not 100% sure but I believe you only have to re-polarize only Big Block[over 8HP engs] cast iron block types,for Magnetron. dlc

If Big Block = cast iron then DLC is correct, unless it was already factory equipped with magnetron. We are talking mainly conversion from points to B&S's "Magnetron" solid state coil/armature here. I'm not sure about 8/9 HP but definetly 10-16 HP.