Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6216 repair pics

Tim_S

Thanks to those of you on this site I was able to complete the 6216 today. As you can see I had to stand the tractor on end to do it. It was cold out but I still enjoyed it.:D I did run into a few small problems though.[:0] The shroud that covers the shifter needed adjustment,possible since this came out of an Allis that there is a difference? I used an 80w synthetic gear oil instead of Hydraulic oil. They only had 10 gallons of the hydraulic oil. I need to get the spring that goes on the input shaft pulley. Took a little getting used to the shifter but runs great^ [img]/club2/attach/Tim%20S/tractor1.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/Tim%20S/tractor2.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/Tim%20S/tractor3.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/Tim%20S/tractor4.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/Tim%20S/tractor5.jpg[/img]

Tim The problem is the space in your user name Tim S You should have kent change it to TimS or Tim_S. You could have repaired them yourself by going to your profile/manage attached files and clicking on the file to open right click on the picture, click on properties, copy the url address and paste that in your post betweem the [ img ] [ /img ] brackets. Copy it from the /club to .jpg, it should look like this with out the spaces in the brackets [ img ]/club2/attach/Tim%20S/tractor5.jpg [ /img ] See the %20 in the file name. That is placed there by the program as it dosn't recognize spaces.

Thanks once again for your help in uploads, I will get it right. Dale brings up a very good point about the lubricant types. Here is where quite frankly I am confused. In my mind hydraulic fluid is the reddish stuff you put in an automatic transmission I put it in my 3415 hydro. Gear oil is what you put in a manual transaxle. It is confusing to me why they were calling for a hydraulic fluid in a manual tranny???? When I went to pep boys all they had was 10 gallon pails of hydraulic fluid, so I opted to look for a lubricant that fared well in extemes in temp. ON the bottle of synthetic gear oil I purchased it stated it is specially formulated for all manual gear boxes and that is has good characteristics for heat and cold extremes. Did I make the wrong choice? Why would someone put hydraulic fluid in a manual in the first place???

Because ATF is what it was designed to use. A lot of today's cars and pickups use ATF in manual transmissions and transfer cases. ATF is a hydraulic fluid. An automatic transmission works on hydraulics and close tolerances. Today's manual transmissions operate on closer tolerances than the older ones therefore operating at higher temperatures. Gear oil/grease works good on loose tolerances and big gears but doesn't take high temperatures as well or flow into tight spaces as good. Another name for Simplicity multi purpose hydraulic oil is ATF.

My question, and I think Tims, Should he put in the ATF instead of the gear oil, even if the gear oil is syn. What is your opinion, Maynard.

Tim, IMHO, you should probably think about using ATF. Maynard is right about it being the same. I don't know why the specs changed on that gearbox, but the bearings or something needs the thinner lubricant. Once again, This is just the opinion of one, Opinion being the operative word.

Well I guess knowing the ATF is thinner and more penetrable than a gear oil is reason enough. Guess I should have waited to get the right stuff. I knew what I was reading wasn't a misprint in the literature I just couldn't make sense of it,for one thing a lubricant that is too thin I could see causing problems too.When I drained the old tranny to inspect it there was gear oil in it which might explain why it went out in the first place. Having done quite an extensive search on this model tractor, I have determined that the tranny seems more prone to problems than some others. Possibly Simplicity seen there was a clearance problem and therefore printed the new specs with hydro fluid. In any case we will probably never know for sure. It was unusual that the following and some prior years with different trannys used straight gear oil. It was also unusual that Simplicity for whatever reason decided to use vickers or peerless or sunstrand instead of their own tranny. I have one of the few mowers where they made their own. Tooling costs? maybe they werent as good at making their own,who knows.They definitely made some tranny changes and I would guess that $$ was at the bottom of it.