Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC Terra Tiger

jkmustang1

Yes to both counts guilty as charged. Boy those things are a blast. Drives like a tank and floats too with the plugs in. I did get to run it a few times in a wide open flat field. I was 7-8 then.

Kohler 2cycle but I don't remember how big. I think it topped out around 35mph on land. And about 3-4 knots when underway in the water.

The engines were a Rockwell JLO engine. 2-cycle. Popular in snowmobiles back then too. The "green" Terra Tigers had two options. A 10 HP JLO, pull start. Or, an electric start (with the pull for back-up) 18 HP. The 1st series were yellow, matching the B-100/200 series of that era. Yellow ones only had the 10 HP. You can still get engine, as well as other Terra Tiger parts on the 6X6 web site.

HI, Had a yellow one. My teenagers and I kind of beat the xxxx out of it. It was fun, we could run it wide open and spin it around backwards. It would just slide and buck upward. The weakest 2 links were the roll pins in the axles. It seems like we always had from 1 to 5 or 6 wheel drive. Had nothing to do with abuse???? The other thing was the tires. They were molded on the rim and very limited in the ability to repair them. Other than that it was a lot of fun. It is like the early snowmobiles. I had 4 and 4 teenagers. All I did was fix snowmobiles. I used to say they were female, because I had to work on them 2 hours for a 5 minute ride. One day woman told me that was my fault. Changed my thoughts. Merry Christmas, Al Eden

My dad-in-law sold them from his store and still has the trailer made to haul them. Handy little rascal, very low deck that tilts back.

My grandfather had an AMPHI-CAT. Red with a 20hp SACHS engine, rear engine. Lots of fun, except when you fall through the ice and you are stuck in water hole the same size as the machine, and the ice is too thick to break up. I took me hours of rocking the thing back and forth to slowly work my way out of there.

I remember those someone we knew had one. Dad near sunk the tiger once. He had taken it along on a Boy Scout / Cub Scout sledding trip. Went some place with a big hill and a pond at the bottom. He was taking the older boys rides and spining round on the pond. It broke through and he had the drain plugs out. The boys got out unhurt and dry. Then he was able to work at it till it climed back out and off the ice. The water drained and he stopped running it till we went home. The hill was so steep at the top he put me in the tiger had me gas it while he pushed to get it back to the top. He was yelling at me what to do I looked back and he was covered in snow head to foot. Like the abomanable snowman.