Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Nick

Steering wheel shaft removal

Nick
What's the best way to get my b-110 steering wheel shaft apart? I am trying to remove it from the old dash to install it in my replacement one. The set screw up top is pretty rusted shut. It's been sitting a few days in oil, to help losen it but it still won't budge.

slb04786
Nick, Is the hex head stripped out or can you still get a hex wrench on it. If it is stripped from trying to get it out I have had good luck applying a little heat to the screw and then trying to drill it out with left handed drill bits. Usually the bit will catch enough and eventually unscrew the set screw. If it isn't stripped try putting some heat to it put a hex wrench in it and give it a few wacks with a hammer while you put pressure on it and alot of times it will loosen. An impact driver with a hex head will do the same thing. Good luck and Merry Christmas Stan

Nick
Nope, not stripped, I'll try it later on with some heat and a few whacks of a hammer. I did manage to bend a few hex wrenches though, my advice DON'T USE CHEAP TOOLS ON RUSTY OBJECTS! I learned that today. I'll be using my Elkind hex set, never bent them once.