Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Nick

Axle tube seal leaking! Can't find Reeds' Post

Nick
I noticed a puddle of oil underneath my B-110. I found the source of the leak, It leaking from the left side, (if you are sitting on the tractor) where the axle tube goes into the tranny. What's involved in replacing the seals? Good thing I noticed it this time of year, less down time. Anyone know where I can find Reeds' post on replacing the seals did a search and couldn't find it. Am I doing something wrong with the search feature that is on top of this page?

Chris727
I wish my B110 only leaked from one spot:( It was leaking so many places last year that when I ran my disk through the corn the tractor left oil on the corn that touched its underside. I've been told there's no way to fix the transmissons from leaking out around where the shifter slides in and out becuase the early tractors didn't have the O rings the newer 3 speeds do. But an axle seal shouldn't be to big of a fix. Seems like almost all these old B's transmissons leak.

simplicity707
I'm having that trouble with my '64 Broadmoor. When I pulled it out of storage, where it was sitting was an oil spot. I think mine is the left one (sitting on the tractor). I would also like to know how to change this. Do you have to take the whole transmission apart?

MikeES
I have proven this many times, and maybe you have already checked. Most axle leaks I have fixed by draining too much oil out of the transaxle. The easiest way is to remove the "street ell" and let the oil drain out, then either put the street ell back on or screw the plug from the street ell into the level hole. If you have filled the transaxle to the top of the street ell, it is too much oil.

ReedS
Guys I've submitted the article to add to the resources articles tech advise and repair tips section so it'll be easier to find in the future. Until its been rated for all audiences it will continue to be available at the link that Nick posted.:p