Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
dratkinson

Hi-Lo Pulley for Homelite T8?

dratkinson
Does anyone know if there is a hi-lo pulley for a Homelite T8? I ask because there is a nice looking T8 on eBay. The seller says it has a 3-speed manual transaxle and I was wondering what could be done to help this little tractor with its snowthrower. Tractor comes with 36" deck, 32" snowthrower, and 42" (?) front blade. /r David

Kent
It should use the same high/low pulley that was used on the Simplicity Broadmoor, unless I'm mistaken. If you can't locate a high/low pulley setup, you could always try using a larger driven pulley on the tranny...

mowerman1193
I belive that it did not have a Hi/Lo option...Like the newer 3 speed Broadmoors did not need the Hi/Lo option as 1st gear was designed to be slow enough for the blower...The Broadmoor with the 2 speed low gear is more like 2nd gear on the three speeds... I have a 728 that I did put a Hi/Lo on just for kicks as I have several of them..Thought I would see how it worked on the 3 speeds..I have (so far) never had a use for the Lo range...I had to cut the fender for the shifter...other than that it went right on and works good..just have yet needed to go that slow,LOL

Kent
Kevin, Have you tried using a snowblower in deep snow with your Broadmoor? I used low/low quite a bit last year with my Big Ten in the 20" snowstorms we got... I also use it when tilling.

mowerman1193
Greg,Now that you mention it I guess I do use it more than I think...I always back it into the garage in Lo because its parking spot is in a tight area... Kent,I have not had this one (728) with the blower mounted until this year...but I did run a 2 speed Broadmoor 717 with blower two years ago...At that time I didn't have a Hi/Lo so I had to ride the clutch some in first..in about 7" of snow not real wet but not the dry fluffy snow either...We dont normally get that much (20") snow here in one snowfall but it has happend...most of our snow is not more than 8-12" The 728 in 1st gear is about like the 717 in 1st with the Hi/Lo in Lo...I think in some real deep wet snow the Hi/Lo will be handy on the 728 My original reason for putting the Hi/Lo on was for the tiller,but...it was not any good on it for tilling as the Hi/Lo slowed the tines down on the tiller..I didn't realize it would do that until I tried it out...

TomSchmit
So the answer is...YES. The T-8 tractor can use the hi/lo set-up for Broadmoors. BUT....The A/C-built versions of the Broadmoor tractor (B-207, B-206, Homesteader) used a different transmission. I believe that this tranny did NOT have a PTO shaft for running a tiller, etc. But will this tranny accept the hi/lo set-up? Here in the Milwaukee area, Simplicities seemed to be more popular than A/C, so I have seen very few of these. Anybody know the answer? Tom

mowerman1193
Tom,I am not sure but I think with some minor mods. the Broadmoor Hi/Lo would work on the AC206-207 tractors...I don't think they had a Hi/Lo option from the factory like the newer Broadmoor 728's with the three speeds did not have the Hi/Lo option...However on my 728 it was just a matter of cutting a hole in the fender for the Hi/Lo shifter and now I have a 6 speed..

gregc
Tom, The transmissions of the B-207 and B-208 will accept a two-speed pulley. The two-speed pulley for them is part #1600031. I believe the pulley is 7 1/2" od. with a 3/4" bore. The two-speed pulley for the Broadmoor is 9" od. and 5/8" bore, so it will not fit the B-207 and B-208. The B-206 has an altogether different transmission than either the Broadmoor or the B-207 and B-208. As far as I know, no two-speed pulley was offered for them. I think that the transmission in the Homesteader 8 is the same as the three speed Broadmoors and that the two-speed pulley for the Broadmoors will work on the Homesteader 8. The early Homesteader 8 even had the cutout in the seat deck for the two-speed shift lever, but the later ones did not.

mowerman1193
Greg,Do you know if the pulley is the same as the Landlord ones then??I think they have about a 6" or 7" pulley with the bigger bore... Might be something for others to look for when shopping for one...

mowerman1193
quote:
Originally posted by gregc
Tom, I think that the transmission in the Homesteader 8 is the same as the three speed Broadmoors and that the two-speed pulley for the Broadmoors will work on the Homesteader 8. The early Homesteader 8 even had the cutout in the seat deck for the two-speed shift lever, but the later ones did not.
Well thats what I thought too...but I have never really seen the Homesteader 8 in person so I didn't know..