Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

It's a little late, BUT

maxtorman1234

I just finished putting the newly painted hood and grill on my 416 today. I have new lights and tried the only attachment that I have to fit it...the mower deck. It is the brand new one my uncle bought for his 310 7 years ago but only used it for about a year. It works pretty good, and lifts high. I the belts are the same length and fit on both tractors. This is now my favourite tractor of the 4:D. The electric clutch and lift sure make things effortless. Even through 2 foot weeds and grass the engine is hardly working. Im very happy with this tractor and sure am glad I got it.

Looks good Graham. Did you get new emblems or did they look that good under all the dirt and grime? Looks like it went to a good home.

THanks everyone, I had fun doing it and put a fair amount of time and $$ into it. THen emblems are original, just taped them up and sprayed around them. The problems I had with it are that the proper carb wont work properly on engine, the flywheel teeth were corroded away by the mice nests and the starting gear was ruined. I needed points &condencer for it to run properly, and will eventually have to pull engine again to replace fibre disk in driveshaft. It was well worth the work, and im glad everything is ok. THis tractor will be the one im using to cut the grass(2 acres) next summer. Its a good thing we have the 310 to temporarily steal parts off:DNext winter I will have to look into painting the whole thing. I really like cutting with this tractor, it steers easily and is very comfortable to drive. I like the 300/400 seires tractors best. Im hoping to get another one soon:)

It looks good Graham I think that's what my uncle did when he restored my B112 years ago, Just taped over the Decals and painted looks good enough for me... It's amazing how just painting the hood make the whole tractor look better....

I wonder why the 416's rusted like that. I got one that belonged to my Father-in-law and it rusted up to. He told me before he passed away that he had painted it once. It sits inside all of the time also.

I believe that you will find that the reason they rusted like that was because of the type of paint that was used. They also used a very light coat with little or no primer under the paint. The paint they used did not stand up well to UV rays.

Sure, LoL. If you look closely you can see it looks pretty bad around the decals. the black around the decal did not stick in the places that it looks like dents in the pictures, there is actually no paint there. Its good enough for me:D