Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
MarkM1958

Power Snout Snow Blower!

Glacier
Saw the same posting.Have mine ready to go, but there is one problem that I'm having. Can't figure out the wiring, I can only get the motor to rotate one direction, can't figure out how to reverse the motor with the switch. Maybe I'm using the wrong switch, just don't know. Anyone out there that can help me clarify the problem? It must be something simple that I'm overlooking. Maybe a drawing could be helpful. Thanks in advance for any info, Jeff

CarlH
Different GM window motors require different wiring. Some are grounded through the motor case and reverse by applying +12 VDC one or the other terminal. Other motors are isolated from the case and require ground and +12 VDC to be applied to the 2 terminals. These reverse by reversing both ground and +12 VDC to the 2 terminals.

PatRarick
Carl, when I'm blowing snow, I sometimes find it convenient to turn the spout while blowing. It is pretty hard to turn the spout with snow flying out of it. Does the motor have enough power to turn the chute under load?

prschmn
Easiest wiring to reverse 12V is to use a DPDT switch. the center terminals go to the motor and the outside to power with one wired one direction and the other reversed. Remember though that if the case of the motor is ground it must NOT be electricly connected to the tractor, mount it in rubber or the like.

roma3112
pat Just this summer I converted my blower over to a power rotator,what i found was that the motor, under a heavy snow output will turn the chute BUT she dosent like it. In reality all i have to do is slow down a tad and off it goes. My set up uses the cable/drum to rotate the chute, and all the parts including the motor are new. My next attempt at mechanical engineering will be to see if there is a way to add power deflect to the thing. Not used too often for the most part but i do a few driveways where it is very useful.

CarlH
Pat, I've had no problems turning the spout while blowing snow. Window motors are high torque DC motors and the mechanical connection using wire cable is stout. The biggest concern I had was the wiring to the the motor to handle the current draw. I decided 20 amps would be about maximum (cars have at least that big a breaker on the power window circuit, some higher) so I used 12 gauge wire and a switch rated for 20 amps.