Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need help with variable

maxtorman1234

Hi, I am working on getting the 310 back together, and am having some troulbes with the variable. I cant get the pully back on the bgb shaft so it stays fixed. Does anybody have the measurements of how much the pully on the bgb should move? A picture would be great also, Thanks for any help:)

I'm not sure what you're asking here... The pulley is keyed and bolted onto the shaft. It should be tight on the shaft and the inner sheave shouldn't move at all. The outside sheave will slide in and out slightly on the 3 pins in the hub.

The BGB inner half moves and the tranny outer half moves in the opposite direction at the same time. The fixed parts of both are what's keyed to the respective shafts.

Thanks, I cannot get the pully to go back on properly for some reason, the sheave does not appear to be long enough and the outer half of the pully on the bgb moves. I have another sheave that I can cut to length, but there is so much wear on the pully that nothing aligns properly. I guess I need a used pully and sheave with matching wear for it to align properly...

I no longer have the variable speed, so I can't measure it. Here's the parts manual for the Landlords. The MFR 990569 should show it: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_1319_01_LL_S.pdf