Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Boney

studded tires

Bunky
I had a set of Studded tires that I used on My quad worked great on the lakes.. and I'm not sure how they would work on hard surfaces and under load like pushing snow they might not hold in the tire very well....

EricD
When I was younger friends would put sheet metal screws into the knobbies on dirt bikes to "ice ride". When under stress with engine torque the screws would eventually find their way out. I would think the same torque principle would apply especially to plowing machines. The difference between losing some off a bike knobbie on a frozen lake and a tractor clearing your driveway could be a flat tire for any vehicle entering/leaving your house. I think if tires could be "studded" from an auto tire store, they would be far less likely to cause any flat issues if they were spun out and wouldn't leave any rips in the tire tread itself.

ka9bxg
I must be getting old but we put them in car and truck tires until they were outlawed in Wisconsin.You might loose a few here and there but they sure did get through the ice.I would say that they would hold up well. I know that some of my tractor tires have the holde in them for the studs.Bob No snow here and loving it!!!!

Joer
I did it 2 yrs. ago on my Case 222hydro. Gave me enough traction for a flat driveway. Had to replace a few over the yr. most stayed intact. Used #8x3/8 hex washer sheet metal screw. Any longer you'll puncture the tire.