Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3416h shifter

RickS

I a having trouble with the shifter on this tractor. It will not stay put once I set it. Instead is slowly returns to neutral. Someone posted a solution that stated the shifter has a screw and ball bearing to increase the friction. Could someone point me to that screw. I have not be able to located it. I am also trying to lcoate a manual for the tractor, but have been upable to do so. Thanks. Rick.......

Hi Rick well Im trying to figure out what the proper mfg # is for this tractor. Looking at my manual the shift handle parts breakdown is on page 28. If I can find the proper number ill let you know then you can download your own copy. The mfg number begins with 169 on the id plate. If you can find that theres a start then go into Simplicitymfg websit and type that number in. Scott

Scott, Thanks for the reply, The mfg number starts with a 871. Which makes no sense to me. My landlord starts with a 169 ( 169 0352)and I can find its number on the Simplicity web site. As I read in the id number of my 3416h is 871 6100 or 6108, the plate is hard to read. This is clearly a Simplicity id tag, but the number is not what I was expecting. Maxtorman, as I understand it this tractor has a Vickers transmission. I am happy with the transmission, but I get tired of holding the tractor in gear. The shift level does have a lock system on it, but the friction needs to be increased. thanks Rick.......

The MFG# for this tractor is 990871 In the older tractors Simplicity only used the last 3 digits dropping the 990. In the newer tractor they used the complete number 169XXXX. If you only have the last 3 digits place 990 in front of them. This is explained on the Tech Pub download site. [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php#start[/url] The Manufacturer's Identification Number is located on a silver tag fixed to the frame of the unit. For newer products, the number is seven characters long beginning with 169_____. For early products, the number is six characters long beginning with 990___. Some early I.D. tags only show a three character number. For three character I.D. numbers, add the 990 prefix.

All of the manuals listed as not available at the above site are available here http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/v_techpubsearch.php This site has all the Manuals you could ever want. This will require some time and effort on your part Use Part# 100,200,300, ETC. to 900.Then you will have to scroll thought the list to find the one you want. They all have discriptions. All of the repair manuals are here. Part# 100 OPERATOR'S MANUALS Part# 200 INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS,OPERATOR'S MANUALS Part# 300 DEALER SETUP INSTRUCTIONS Part# 400 PARTS MANUALS Part# 500 REPAIR MANUALS Part# 600 Safety Section,INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS Part# 700 Neutral Adjustment Guide,Electrical Information Manual, Product Service Bulletin Book Part# 800 Misc. Part# 900 Service Bulletin Book,Limited Warranty Simplicity Technical Publications Document Search Engine.

Rick - Do you have parts 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and 11 in UCD's diagram? They are what keeps the shift lever (part #1) from slipping. Parts 2 - 11 when assembled is a squeeze safety mechanism, and is annoying and sometimes removed by irritated owners. But if you remove them, and also spring #14 in the diagram (which is under the seat) you can use the hydro without as much slippage, but it will still happen. Brent PS - I happen to have those parts in a box somewhere around here, removed from the 3416H I used to own, if you need 'em. Brent

Brent, looking at UCD's diagram I do have parts 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, and 11. However I need to verify that parts 3,4, and 6 are working properly. If I had to guess, (now that i have the diagram) part number 3 or 6 is the problem. Thanks, I will take a look and let you know. Rick.......

Rick glad someone could get the diagram on there for you I have been trying to do the same thing since I posted last. UCD could you let us in on your secret to getting pdf. from computer to post? Also the repair manual is:TP 500_973_01 when you download it it only looks like 3 pages but click on the categories on the content page and they will link you to that repair section while online.

You are all amazing at what you can do sorry i couldnt figure it out for you Rick. I tried! But then again they helped me for the next person.