Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

to restore or not to restore, thats the question

simplicity707

I know this post is probably a whatcha call "dumb post", but I'd thought I'd ask it anyways (LOL). Christmas is Thursday and I think I know what I'm getting. A new white steering wheel and fenders for my Broadmoor. We'll the sad part is, the tractor is in pretty rough shape, several coats of black spray paint, (not by me, the previous owner). I want to drive it in the big Fathers Day parade next summer, but it looks awful. Should I fix it up? Sand down some parts and spray paint with Chevy Duplicolor Orange? I know the steering is terrible. It's almost gotten to the point where it don't work no more:(!. Does anybody have any advice on fixing that up? I wouldn't mind finding a pan seat with maybe some of the foam left, but I can't find one at all. One sold on eBay awhile ago, but I was off when it sold. The transmission leaks oil, so I'm to that delimma, what do it do with the tractor? I'd like to keep it, but it's got so much wrong with it. It's basically just a frame with tires. Nothing on it works, not even the motor. I'd probably need to find another parts tractor, but where? I'd appreciate your replies, 'cause after Christmas, I'm going to have to do something. thnx,,

Well,ya got a new steering wheel,that's a start! There's an older Broadmoor resting behind an abandoned house near me.What specifically are you needing?

As a kid, I had an old beat up bike. Same deal, bad paint,bad tires bad everything.I took it to the junkyard and lo and behold there was another one just like it, only it had flat tires, no seat and bent handlebars. I took that thing home and proceeded to tear both of them down. After cleaning and fixing and painting the best of the two of everything, I had myself a great bike that lasted for years. I like your parts-tractor idea. Ken

If I were you I would take a little time and restore it. Maybe talk to your neighbors who collect Simplicity's, You are within about 10 miles of two Simplicity/AC Ebay sellers. Might want to look around a bit for parts on Broadmoors (they are cheap). Maybe send a PM to SmilinSam he might have some Simplicity parts left for Broadmoors.

If you want to get inspired take a look at some of the pictures of the work these guys have done to these little tractors. After a good dose of inspiration you just have to limit the TV time and you get a lot more done. Oh and buy a chrome part nothin gets the project going like a new chrome part sittin on a project, it just gets the creativity flowing.

If its a complete tractor that just needs some TLC then I say go for it...But I learned a lesson on my first Broadmoor..I gave $15 for it but it was basically a parts machine that I put more money in trying to gather the parts that was missing than the tractor was worth...However I am glad I did put it together as it was a learning experiance for me...To do it over now I would of bought a complete tractor instead..It was still fun to put together though...

Which model is it? A 707, 717, or a 6HP? Does it have electric start and is it a 2 speed or 3 speed? Has the motor run recently and if so how well? I know rebuild kits for the motors are relatively inexpensive through aftermarket companies,usually come with a set of rings and gaskets. I've seen them for around $20 on ebay. If its a big problem with the motor and you tear it down then check everything for wear, maybe someone will let you use their tools if you don't have them, probably hone the cylinder, check the crankpin for wear and check all sizes and specs for the engine. Does the tractor's frame still pivot? Does it have a mower deck and if so what kind of shape is it in? Look at your steering gears under the dash and check for wear. If they don't look bad then try greasing up the grease fittings on the front spindles. Maybe it will steer better. A transmission oil leak shouldn't be too bad, could always just keep adding more oil. I'm sure if seals are still available they shouldn't cost too much.

If it was me I'd restore it...Take your time and collect the parts...dont feel like you have to spend alot of money on them. Im sure if you look around you may come across a Broadmoor that may be given to you...you just never know! I have one also that im plannning on restoring in the next yr or so... 73 jay

quote:
Originally posted by AC808
If it was me I'd restore it...Take your time and collect the parts...dont feel like you have to spend alot of money on them. Im sure if you look around you may come across a Broadmoor that may be given to you...you just never know! I have one also that im plannning on restoring in the next yr or so... 73 jay
Very Well Put.Take your time and work as you want to work on it.Run an ad in the paper.You will be surprised at what you can get for very little or free just to get it out of someones way.Good Luck.

Thanx for the replies. It is a 1964 Simplicity Broadmoor 6 H.P. Yes, it does still pivot, it has a 32" deck that is some what frozen, but might work with a little tlc. I just got done restoring a 707 Broadmoor and ouch, was that expensinve! If I were to fix this one up, I'd sand the outer parts well, clean and polish every thing up. I think this one will be put into use if I can ever get it half way usable. If I could, I'd love to find the original 6 H.P. motor to put back in it. The motor thats on it right now has the wrong shaft, so there are no pulleys on it, so therefore it does not drive. The person that had it b4 me, messed up the clutch and brake so bad, I have no clue where to start on it. I remember when it did drive, the gears ground bad, due to that. I think on the steering wheel, the gears are worn so bad, you could sit and turn the steering wheel in one direction, and it would keep spinning. I imagine I will have to look for a whole new steering sector. The trouble is, I got all the Broadmoors out of our town, so there getting pretty rare in this area. I know of a couple other people who own them, but there in much better shape than mine. This paticular model is a 990303 with the electric start, and yes, I do have the starter generator sitting in my room with all the pulleys and such. I'd like to see this thing going again. It's got a 2 speed with reverse. I like the idea of the white steering wheel, so I know i'm gonna keep the tractor, it's just what to do with it....

Hi Dave, sounds like its worth fixing up. I thought I had most of the simplicity's from my area but this fall a 1969 727 Broadmoor showed up at the car junk yard and I got it for $10 and he loaded it up for me too. Not complete enough to restore but I'm getting lots of good parts out of it. I'm fixing up an old 64 or 65, it was originaly a 6HP but I've got an extra 7HP briggs with the pulleys and all that I'm gonna put on it. Yeah I like those white steering wheels to but unfortunatly mines missing so I'm putting one from a Homelite T-7 on it, not quite the same, oh well I don't think this tractor will be a keeper anyway. Too bad just a couple of years ago I could have had one of those white wheels cheap too! Good luck with your project and Merry Christmas.

The other day I went to the local metal recyclers just to see what they had laying around..They had one of those old Broadmoors with the white steering wheel.It looked mostly complete but they have this guy that runs a loader around pushing stuff up on the pile and it was clear on top of the pile...They wont let you climb the pile or get anything down so I had to let it go..The back fenders was all smashed from that loader pushing on the pile..Even had the mower deck still hooked to it...Sometimes I can get lucky and when they load the trucks it will make its way back to the ground...going to go check on it in a couple days..might still be able to save it...

David, I would say go ahead and restore it, like others have msaid here you don't have to spend a lot of money. Just look around, you might be surprised what turns up. Good luck with your project.^

David, could you get some pictures of your tractors and have someone scan them so we can see your collection? That 707 sure sounds nice!

I'd love to have someone scan them. Who would scan them for me? Yes, I'd love to post pics of them, and the Broadmoor is pretty cool. I hope that one from the dump gets saved!

Dave, does anyone you know have a scanner with their computer? If no one does then you may be able to have it done at some kind of a store offering photo developing, I think they can give you picture disks now or something like that. If that doesn't work you could give them to someone in the club to scan. I'm sure you could mail them to Kent and he would maybe put them in the SimpleTractors photo gallery.

I would say to go for it and restore it. The gears grinding badly is probably because of the change in pulleys and no belt guides in place or adjusted wrong. I rescued a 728 and tore it all apart and repainted it. After I put it back together you couldn't hardly shift it at all. I had not put the 2 wire belt guides close enough to the motor pulley to hold the belt from turning when the clutch was pushed in. After adjusting that it shifted like a dream. I have a 707 to put back together this spring and a little yeoman in my project pile also. Good luck on your project!!

If you would like mail them to me and I will scan them and send them back in your email in a JPEG then snail mail them back.Just an idea and would be glad to do it.