Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
grady

uncle dipstick

grady
well,I am in germany and my old uncle morris(76 and counting)is taking care of my stuff back home.I asked him to fill all the tractors with gas and extend treatment and run everything long enough to get to the carb,dry out etc.he went to the gas station and filled all the containers with kerosene(even though we don't use kerosene for anything!)then topped off all the equipment and ran it until everything died belching smoke.then he realizes what he did and calls me about his senior moment and what should he do? I told him to drain all the tanks and put him on hold-any suggestions on what to do in this situation? will this do any long term harm to my tractors/generator/chainsaw/4wheelers,gator,etc?:(

rokon2813
Personally I dont think it will hurt any gaskets or seals or anything. Not positive though. Also it doesnt go bad or gum up nearly as fast as gasoline. Myself, I would leave it in till I got back, then flush the systems, change all the oils and start them up. The Kero will make a good rust inhibitor and lubricant and nobody is gonna use your stuff while your gone. The main difference (for the layman) is kero and deisel dont have the flashpoint of gas. Takes a lot more heat and compression to fire them. Otherwise, if you dont want to wait, drain the tanks, drain the carbs, refill with gas and run them at a moderate speed, not wide open for a few minutes till they stop smoking. Unless you tear everything apart and thoroughly clean it, they will smoke some till its all burned off. What actually causes the smoke is the impurities burning. Gas is much more refined.

MPH
Think it might be good to just leave them. The kero should just lub everything. Ditto, the drain when you get back, might have to clean your plug, not sure on the 2 cyl stuff, the kero might be a bit dry for them.. MPH

BigSix
One thing that could have been done, after your fuel treatment, is shutting down the engine(s) by spraying marine fogging spray into the carbs, but you're past that stage now. An altertnative to fogging is a small amount of oil down the plug holes, then spin the engine. "Marvel Mystery Oil" is supposedly good for this, using the oil the engine normally uses can't be bad. I recently learned (by reading the bottle!) that "Stabil" brand gas storage treatment can be used at double strength...again, too late for this job, but I pass it on to the masses. While I think the kerosene will be all right, if it were me, I'd have him restart the expensive and/or high tech stuff like the quad (and the two cycle stuff) and restore them, using Stabil at double strength. (I'm not sure double strength makes it last longer, however....) Again, fogging is ideal, but oil in the plug hole is a good alternative. Amount depends upon displacement but, obviously, less than will cause hydrolocking of the engine. Like, a tablespoon or less for a quad engine, maybe, would be okay, IMHO. You could also have your uncle wire screen over the exhausts of the larger pieces, for the mice. I also use mothballs around the equipment--not sure if this does more than make me feel better, and stink.... Quads might appreciate being jacked up off their tires, for two years, but not sure you'd want your uncle wrestling a 500 lb quad.

grady
all is well.my brother in law(ex)went over and drained everything then refilled and ran,says everything is running good.he also treated all the gas with extend before filling.uncle morris felt real bad,and you never know how long he will last(2 packs of unfiltrd camels a day:(wouldnt want him going to his grave thinking he ruined all my equipment! anyway,he feells better now and so do I,no harm done:)somebody wants to buy my old JD110(mint)it's the only green thing I have,and I don't think I'll miss it too much-any ideas what they are worth? I also have a tiny simplicity that starts with a pull rope,(don't know exactly what it is?)that I should probably sell too if anybody interested.thanks again for the advice,grady;)

upstatemike
Hey Grady, Sounds like you've got a good x bro in law. Where abouts in Germany are you?? Funny, I was just this morning thinking about the years I spent there and how much I love the USA. Mike

Tim_S
Reminds me of the time while working for a company with Ford powerstroke diesels one of my co-workers decided to fill'er up on regular unleaded gas. Needless to say the truck didnt get far. Them there diesel engines dont like unleaded gas either.

grady
Mike,I am in Vilseck,really like it here,but soon it's back to Korea.Marty,I have only a mower deck with my JD and 10hp Kohler.Runs great,cuts okay,less than 200hrs I am pretty sure.Tim,it is definitely worse when you reverse the mistake! thanks to god I didnt have a diesel 'bota that he put gas in,don't you think?:o)

grady
would it be possible for the kerosene in the gas to burn the valves if you kept trying to re-start the tractor? my good xbroinlaw says one of the tractors is blowing smoke,smelling hot and dying under a load,backfiring etc.told him to put some marvel in it(as per previous advice)and pull the plugs and clean/replace? also to try carb cleaner while running.I am hoping the valves just got hogged up and the marvel will clean them up? thnis is a fairly new regency with a kohler twin(17?)OHC I beleive.wish I was there to play with it:(grady

Al
Hi, I would have voted to leave the kerosene in. It would not hurt the engines and would have been a good rust preventative and doesn't degrade quickly like gasoline does. It would not hurt the valves. We sometimes use it, diesel fuel, Dextron, or Marvel Mystery Oil as a purge in a running hot engine to correct sticking valves etc. Get the engine hot, running wide open pour it in until the engine nearly dies, let it recover, repeat a couple of times then pour it in until it kills the engine. Let it set for a couple of hours and restart it. If you want to remove carbon, you can use water in a similar matter go slow with the water, after you restart it, pieces of carbon will blow out the exhaust. Back in the 40s and 50s these methods were used a lot with cars. Make sure you cut the neighbors phone line so they can't call the fire dept, the trucks may get lost in the smoke with the kerosene or oil. The one thing that I might mention concerns fuel stabilizers. In service school they stress that stabilizers work by putting a microscopicly thin layer over the fuel. It will not imrprove fuel. It only reduces the vaporization of the volatiles. It is kind of like one would lay a sheet of liquid saran wrap over the fuel. So one should have fresh fuel to start with when adding stabilizer. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly, Al Eden

UCD
the cheapest tool in a mechanics tool box is a jug of water. You can use it for alot of things. I know a guy that drove a veichle 18 miles out of the woods with nothing but water in the crank case. It was alot better than walking and after replaceing the oil pan and filling it with oil continued to drive it for a long time after.

grady
thanks to all for the excellent information,sorry for the late reply,have been on call 24/7 for the past week.(all is well when nothing happens:)).I remember hearing something about using water to blow out carbon-think I would be afraid to try it,but don't doubt it.Tim(ex-bro/real bro)put marvel mystery oil in all the gas tanks then ran everybody and says they all sound fine now.I will be home soon before I go back to Korea and will try to get some pictures.thanks againn for the knowledge;)grady

BigSix
UCD: That's an awesome story, re: the water in the crankcase. I'd never have thought of that one, but I guess a noncompressible liquid (even a thin, nonpetroleum liquid) is better than no liquid/friction reducer at all. Weird, wild stuff. No wonder those crazy English guys get those engines to run so long without oil, with those "miracle oil treatments" they sell on the late night infomercials. I saw an inline six running a long time without an oil pan and, come to think of it, there were spraying water un into the crankshaft area. Wonder if they were spraing it directly onto the oil pickup screen, and the engine did what your guy did in the woods that time. Hmmmm.... Peter