Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

12 hp B & S Fit a B-1?

Does anyone know if a 12 hp B & S from a B-112 will fit a B-1?? If so, are any modifications required? Thanks, Roy

Yes I agree with Tim "but" I have also been wrong before. The B-1 does have a narrower frame then the newer B-10 which I "think" had a 9-10hp engine in them and I think the 7.5 has a smaller block "but"??. I have a 1963-64 Landlord that came with a 9hp engine but now has a 12 briggs in it but it has the wider frame up front and I had to shoe horn it in. I just don't think it will be a bolt in project...?? Best of Luck and someone help Tim and I out here "please" >>->happyjack<-<<

Well since no one else has responded I'll say this. I think someone in the past said that the 7.5HP engine on the B-1 has a smaller footprint than the 12HP engine and that the frame, grill, and hood on the B-1 are therefore narrower than the later B series tractors. Of course I could be totally wrong again so you better measure unless someone else will confirm this one way or the other. Tim

Surely someone has stuffed a larger engine into a B-1. I might be wrong but I thought the 9, 10, & 12 hp engines (Models 23 & up) were basically the same block as a Model 19 with larger bores and strokes. If this is the case, why wouldn't a Model 23 fit a B-1 for example. We need some help on this one please. Roy

No answer, just another question. Roy didn't mention the 16HP. Does the 16HP cast iron Briggs have the same footprint as the 9 and 10 (i.e. my 243431)? Wow, the possibility of adding half again as much HP! With 16HP, if I could get traction, I could move about anything....

Kent i just put a 16hp cast iron briggs on the Big Ten i just got with no mods. Except having to notch out the grill support. Good thing i have a extra. Mike

Like dlc said anything is possible with the blue wrench "torch" and a ark welder and a cut here and a weld there. But does anyone know if the 7-1/4 has the same footprint as the larger block engine's. I can put a 16hp briggs in my 63-64 landlord "BUT" will the drive train handle the extra hp and torque???? Like the diff.-axle tube-axle hubs-transmission just to name a few that I have replaced-hey but they needed replaceing anyway sooner or later. There is a weak area on the older tractors where the frame meets the pto box to which I had to re-enforce as it cracked after putting the 12hp briggs in it. I personally feel that the 12 is about the max I would care to go with what I have. It is amazing the difference between the 9hp then a 10hp and finally a briggs 12hp that is in it now. I don't feel with the gearing and the weight of the tractor that I need anything larger then the 12hp. just sometimes more is not better if your tractor is only going to set and spin the tires even with a pair of 55lb. each wheel weights, 45lb. weight on the rear hitch and my dead weight on it unless I am going to start going to tractor pulls. The 12hp handles all of the attachments-tiller-snowblower-42"mower-and moves a 29ft long travel trailer with ease with the trailer's tounge wheel on it. But it did all of these task with the 9hp it just does all of the before mentioned with ease now and without any "labor pains". Don't get me wrong here folks I love horse power "but" it can cost a fair amount of $$$ in the end if your not carefull at least in my case. Just another point is that someday I might want to put the original 9hp engine back in my landlord but I don't want to have to use a blue wrench or an ark welder if that's what it take's and I remember someone at one time stated that it might just take that to do it "not sure". But my tractor is not a big -10 either but a landlord so just maybe some difference between the 2 models and the 12hp is also a counter balanced engine that also eats up some place along with the starter generater just fitting in without notching for the pulley. Just my opinion for what its worth and is subject to change without notice so if someone ever stuff's anything larger then a 12hp in a 63-64 landlord please let me know. Best to all, and thanks good topic, >>->happyjack<-<<

Roy, Since you have not not gotten a firm answer why not measure the distance between the mounting holes on your B-1 engine, the frame width at the front of the tractor, and the hood width at the grill and I will do the same with my B-12. Then we can compare and see how much, if any, difference there is. I can also give you any other measurements you need of the 12hp engine. Tim

Tim, Sounds like a plan but give me some time. I'm laid up right now with an ear infection. I'm send some dimensions after I get around to doing measuring. Thanks, Roy

Hey happyjack you shouldn/t have to shoehorn anything in in order to get a 12 in place o a 9 in that tractor. The 2012 is the identically same tractor but it is newer and doesn't have a black dash.