Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Best tractor to start with????

bkassulke

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of a tractor that is good to start off with. I was just introduced to this site by a good friend(a member) and I am now looking for a tractor. I need help deciding which tractor would be the best to start with. I am looking for a jack of all trades to start with. Can any of you members help me out with this problem?[

Really depends on what you are going to use it for... Mowing 1/4 acre or 3 acres will take a different tractor optimally. Will you be blowing snow, tilling soil.... Give us an idea what your needs are... and then add in your wishes... Then your question can be answered a little easier. Merry Christmas to all and Al Mike

I am looking for a tractor to use. I dont need a pretty one that will look the best but a strong hard worker. I would be mowing no more than 2-3 acres. I would like to move snow. In the future I would be tilling or plowing. I need it to start a lwn mowing busines. I need a reliable tractor. Size doesn't matter as long as it performs well. I am sorry that I did not specify in the beginning. I want it to perfrom many tasks. Wwll thanks for taking time to read this. All of you have a wonderful and joyous Christmas.

Any of the B series Allis or similar Landlords. Any of the models with horizontal engines and bevel gearboxes will handle a multitude of attachments to do nearly anything you could possibly ask of it.

Any of them will work, here's an example of what you can do with 7 horses at 43 years old(both me and the tractor, we literally share birthdays).... http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=17974&SearchTerms=Garden,leveling,update You might want to look at something "newer" like the 3300, 3400, 7000 or 7100 series and Allis counterparts. Having a larger engine is always a plus. A hydro is nice for a lot of forward/reverse transitions without having to shift(snow plowing) and can accomodate a hydraulic lift driven by the charge pump, which the Nissen(a Danish tradition, ask Tue) must have dropped off on my doorstep this afternoon....

Well, for mowing 2 or 3 acres I would go with an 920 Allis Chalmers with a 60 inch deck, and rear pto and three point hitch, that way you can put a rear mounted roter tiller, or snow blower, my best bet is to go with a hydrostatic drived garden tractor over a gear driven model unless you will be mowing wide open spaces. Another option to look at is an Simplicity SunStar which is 20hp power with hydrolic lift, rear pto and 3 point hitch, as well as either a 48inch or 60 inch deck. I happen to own a Agco Allis 1920H ( which is a Simplicity sunstar, just marketed under the Agco Allis Brand) These tractors have plenty of power for snow removal, lawn cutting, and roto tilling. Power steering is a plus when operating a garden tractor with a blower on the front! you should talk to Al, he is a Simplicity dealer, maybe he could sell you Simplicity's new 27hp Legacy tractor? Take Care and good luck with the lawn bussness Jason

Welcome to the club and Merry Christmas. I would think an older simplicity or AC. The older ones can be had for a cheaper price (or free) and are easy to work on. They are a good tractor to learn the basics and not go too far in debt. Good luck, John H

The first tractor I had of my OWN is an A/C 712. It has all the power and features ill ever need. Then theres my 416 which I prefer over the 917. The 416 is definately a very good tractor. I think they are more comfortable to drive, and they are pretty good to work on.

Well Some of the bunkhouse boys and me were discussing this very issue. They think it's mostly ego driven. A 9020 may be necessary for some, others... a Wonderboy 575 w/a 24" deck, the 'ultimate cerebral fighting machine', is fine, for the same 10 acres. A lot of this is personal. Rationalizations are fun. You can take it any way you personally want...and not much harm is done. Afterall, we're not talking about solving the origins of the Universe.

I have a few tractors (30)plus and the one I like the most for cutting grass and just general work is my simplicity 7116 it has the 48 inch deck that works great and fits in most yards.It has plenty of power and will handle most implements.I agree with the hydro tractors being better for just about everthing .Only bad thing about it is those running boards keep gettin in the way. RBT forever.Bob

Ben you already have a bunch of good advice but I'll pitch in my nickles worth too. I have several of the old B'series tractors, a Simplicity 3012 and a 17GTH-L. For sheer fun and learning solid mechanical skills I'd suggest one of the older units like a 3012 or a B-10. They also have the power to mow bunches, plow,till,push snow and about anything else you might want to do. Since you specified using it for a lawn service also and require a certain level of dependability, I think a later model may be what you need. Something like a Simp 7116 or an AC 916. Still have the dependable Cast iron Briggs, easy to maintain, and all the power you'll never need. Good Luck! Merry Christmas! And welcome to the club! Larry

I think any of the large frame Simplicity tractors would work well for you...I would look for a hydro as they can cut down time on mowing...I see some say to get a later model for the dependability...I disagree with that but thats my opinion..I think the biggest thing is to look it over real well...I mean you can get one off the show room floor and have problems...I would consider finding something that doesn't cost much and as soon as you can,get another for a back-up...

Mowerman when I suggested "later" model, I meant something like a late 70's to early 90's. Something that parts are more available for and donor tractors are more common. Also tractors for that era have Sunstrand hydros that you can still get parts for, unlike the Vickers obsolete units. JMHO. Larry

quote:
Originally posted by dirtsaver
Mowerman when I suggested "later" model, I meant something like a late 70's to early 90's. Something that parts are more available for and donor tractors are more common. Also tractors for that era have Sunstrand hydros that you can still get parts for, unlike the Vickers obsolete units. JMHO. Larry
OK I see what you mean now....

Thanks for the advice. Any more advice would be appreciated. I think that I amy look for a 72-73 Sovereign. I also really like hydros. I was introduced by mwells. He has a Deutz 1920 that I envy. I love the power and the power steering. I f I get enough money I would love ot get one of those. MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!!!

Yes, Those 1920H's are a nice tractor, I was foutunate to get one last year when I traded in my 1614H Agco Allis for it! they ( 1920's) have plenty of power and the power steering is not that bad either...In fact power steering is a wonder when it comes to running a blower, blade or snowblower! Take Care Jason

Its been said before but what the heck. We all have our favorite machines. Mine is the 3415/16 But I'm not so sure its the best to cut your teeth on. Pound for pound the "B's" ( B-10 etc ) has to be one of the greatest lawn/garden machines ever built. Reason for my thinking being 35 years and thousands of them get up and go to work every day ! ( Better than I can say for me..LOL ) They will do darn most anything you need done, Mow as pretty as any Simple tractor and are pretty straight forward to maintain. Also, most any add on equipment you'd want can be had and run on/for a B-10. And last but a biggy IMO.... Parts are easy to find ! It might be said that any model can be popular per good dealers selling in a said area for that model year. And thats something I'd think to be true. But in all the areas I have covered there are always a few around.. Main thing IMO from what your wanting to do, is to stay with a bevel gear box tractor.. Good luck in your search ! Hard to go wrong with a Simplicity.. Be it Orange or Yellow....

I'd suggest a 700/900 AC. I personally like the Vickers better than sunstrand, but the leaks are quite annoying until they are fixed. THe sunstrands are ok, but just arent as smooth. Im primarily using my 416 instead of the 917 in the summer. I think its a nicer tractor.

Hey Ben Welcome to the Club!! Will get something figured out for you just wait a bit you'll find a good tractor that you like for a good price!