Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A Visit from the Nissen.... and Glaedelig Jul

thedaddycat

I must have been visited by the Nissen and he left me a nice surprise....

The Nissen, as I grew up with this Danish tradition, is like a sort of elf who lives in the house. He watches over everything and can leave small gifts or treats if you've been good. At Christmas it's traditional to leave a token of food or treats, like the milk and cookies for Santa, to this friendly fellow. Another thing we do is to burn incense in a "Smoking Man". These colorful characters can be opened to put the incense inside, then the smoke comes out their mouth. This one seems to be particularly fitting for some strange reason.... LOL On top of that little bit of my family tradition, I'd like to wish all of you Glaedelig Jul. Ut!

This lift is made to be powered by the charge pump on a Sundstrand hydro. I don't know enough about the cross over between Simplicity and A-C, does yours cross to a 7100 series and does it have a hydro?

This is just a part of my family tradition from my grandfather, who was born in Denmark in the late 1800's. I have others too, like the ever growing collection of Biedermann ornaments, something my German grandmother brought to us... I'm sure others have similar traditions, foods, or activities based on their family backgrounds. "The Rest Of The Story"??? OK....... Happy Birthday To You... Happy Birthday To You... Happy Birthday Dear Jesus... Happy Birthday To You... Isn't that what it's really about???

Hi Kirk Glad to see you got a happy ‘nisse’ must be because you treat it good:p. We still keep up the tradition with the ‘nisser’. They live up on the attic and the children always feet them on the 23. December with nissens favorite dinner : rice pudding. It’s only with in the last 300 years that nisse became a nice guy, before that they where small }:) devil guys that would do horrible things if they where not treaded right! Like burn down farms etc….You simply had to keep them happyB)! Nice to see we are not the only one keeping up the tradition, the children really love looking after nissen and they really belief in them, mostly because the rice pudding is gone next day when the go get the bowl. Guess where the rice pudding goes;) ( heeeeee ) Glædelig jul og godt nytår til jer alle sammen! (Merry chrismas and happy new year to all of you)

quote:
Originally posted by johnmonkey
I also have Danish ancestory. Thanks for sharing some traditions that I have never heard of. John H
I do as well on my moms side and I knew nothing of the traditions and find them intresting.Thanks for sharing Kirk and you must have been a good boy.:)