Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-1 Ignition Problem

Les

I recently bought a B-1 from a dealer who said that the tractor ran last year but developed ignition problems. I put a different starter/gen on it and no go. I then discovered that the points/condenser and the cover were gone. My local dealer tells me he can order the points but not the cover. I then realized that I am surely not as smart at the dealer I bought the thing from so something else besides the points/condenser(plunger maybe?) must be bad. Can this tractor be converted over to magnetron ignition???? Anybody want to sell me the parts? I believe that it is a Model 19 Briggs, has original yellow paint. Or would this be destroying a classic? If so, somebody better come buy the thing off me. Cause if I ever get it running Im going to mow grass with it.

Les, I live in Yorkville, Platteville area, not that far from you. Well anyway it can be converted but you have to have the flywheel re polerized and that would would cost about $50.00 since you have to provide shipping charges but it can be done. I am thinking about converting my Allis-Chalmers B-10 early and my parents B-112. These magnetron's are supposed to fire the spark plug 12-14 times more, and I don't think you are destroying it since so many other people are converting theirs too. Well hope this helps -Brad P.S. My E-mail address is bw10_us@yahoo.com if you need anything else. Click on the link below to go to my garden tractor website. [A href='www.clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/thisoldgardentractor']www.clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/thisoldgardentractor[/a]

I am sorry about that Kris, I probably typed the link in wrong. The link is: www.clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/thisoldgardentractor

Yeah like a mouse nest in the blower housing ruined the coil maybe?It does happen! I would Magnetron it if it was mine,AND the BIG question would be if they offer a sys. for that eng. at all as I recall it's NOT the conventional type coil/magneto as the newer 10hp Briggs engs.It has a smallmagnetic wheel abt 4" that rotates around a 'surround' type pick-up assy.I'm sure it's NLA. If your mag/coil is N.G. that could be a BIG problem indeed!!Besides even the OEM Briggs points and cond. just don't seem to last like they used to,since they started to be China made! Just my 1 1/2 cents worth! dlc,, [RNYTD]

The Model 19 B & S engines have a Magna-Matic ignition system. The coil and rotor are beneath the flywheel. The flywheel does not have magnets. I think dlc is right. I don't see how the Magnatronic conversion will work with the Model 19's. My 2¢ worth. Roy

So magnatron wont work. shucks. I guess what I need now is what they call the "breaker assembly" which is points/condenser/cover and no longer available from Briggs. I guess that I can look for a used setup, I can still order points. What I am really afraid of is will that fix it?????? Anybody got any ideas?

I found the serial number plate under the grease, it is a Model 19 706055 675794 I thought for sure that it was the original engine due to the yellow paint. But according to the serial number, was it made in 1967? That would be too late for a factory install into a B-1, wouldnt it?

Les, I can get you the part numbers for the parts if you need them, just tell me and I will give them to you.

Les there still is hope for your B-1. If I am not mistaken B-1's where Model 19D and if yours is this then as I look at the parts break down for the 19D the Flywheel has the magnet in it and the coil mounted on the outside. I called Briggs and they sent me this info directly at no cost. P.S. I purchased your other B-1 and after my father picked it up we found that it is a 23D. So I suggest that you check the data plate at the front of the engine before you spend to much time and money. Jeff

• 9 months later...
please don't do it it worth more just the way it is. do the cheepest way possable investigate every thing first and get prices and then decide. if you look round for colleges and small eng. shops in your town they will fix them for next to nothing if you don't want to figure it out yourself. im in college now and that is my minor small eng. and my major is diesel power and it gives us good practice working on the old tractors