Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Right color,wrong brand....

goatfarmer

This one followed me home Tuesday night. When I saw those sad looking eyes sitting in that back yard,I couldn't turn it down!:D My wife said I could keep it,but I have to take care of it.I figure the "synchro balanced" Briggs 11 hp was worth the $25.00 purchase price. Is there much interest in Gilson's out there?

quote:
Originally posted by oldone
I think you are right about the sad looking eyes! For 25 bucks I would take it home too!
I agree too:D I think there is a Gilson group on yahoo...

quote:
Originally posted by oldone
I think you are right about the sad looking eyes! For 25 bucks I would take it home too!
I think it was nice of you to give it a good home for Christmas....;):D Nice find Kenny^

I collect Gilson tractors.Too bad you are too far away from me.They are pretty well built machines but the engineering is over complicated and some easy service procedures are hard to perform.If interested in selling let me know.

I've had two of them, one I traded for getting my mail checked when working outta the town, the other I still have. Well built little tractors so long as you don't have to change attachments, the engineeers must have had too much time on thier hands.. MPH

Yeah,it appears to be a well built machine.I hooked up a battery,and got it to crank,but it didn't start. Hopefully,just a plug or points. I'll have to look into the yahoo group.Any ideas on age? I'm thinking early 70's.

Marty, your gilson in the bottom picture looks kinda like its impersonating a Homelite T-16. As for the red gilson I would say early 1980's. I know where theres one of those I could get cheap. Too bad I was too late on an early 70's Montgomery Ward Gilson w/o a motor. It ended up going to the crusher:( I'm still mad at myself for that:(!

Don't kick yourself too hard Chris. Only reason I got the 71 was the S/G is worth more then I gave for it. The 14hp smokes pretty good but is solid. Has a mech clutch on front which is cool. Was gonna put that motor in my Landlord but I scored a model 23 so I kept it OEM. Hard to part out a complete working tractor.. MPH

I know what ya mean,Marty,about parting complete tractors. If this one runs out decent,I'll keep it together,and sell it complete. Means more cash for the "other" orange tractors that live around here!:)

Engine code is 79030111.You guys were right on in dating it closer to the 80's.Bravo!!! Put some fresh gas in it,and a new plug,hooked up a battery,and got 'er to run.Ran lousy,though,going to put a rebuild kit in the carb,and see what happens.