Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A Christmas Present

Woodydel

Gas tank got holes? Broken engine blocks? Sheet metal parts rusted through? Buy either of these products and FIX your broken tractors and parts the EASY way. Check out this site. [url]http://www.alumaloy.net/[/url]

Guess I need a newer tractor Woody, only thing it says I could use it on is the carb bowl. Have you tried it on metal, like a gas tank?? Merry Christmas to ya.. MPH

Hi Marty, Look at this. [url]http://www.alumaloy.net/frames/steelaloy1.htm[/url] Check out Castaloy as well. [url]http://www.alumaloy.net/frames/castaloy1.htm[/url]

;)Yup, but first try I used MY torch. NO good, they say low heat, they mean it. A fella wanted some aluminum storm windows fixed, I had no tig, and my mig set up was way to hot. this "wonder rod" fixed them really good. I was pretty amazed with the stuff. :DBut I do draw the line at this JB weld stuff though, ain't no welder in a tube!! hehehe:D I do have to go back and read the steel and cast pages Woody posted though. But any time you putting heat on a gas tank, be carefull!!

Yes, but still hitting gas tank with a flame, and some don't know how to do it, and others of us do and are just plain chicken!! hehehe But as I said, I know the alumaloy works. I did 2 pieces of scrap first. I abused these as mabey a stormwindow would be abused. Then I beat the livin stuffin out of it and was really suprised what it took to beark it apart. With these heats, your basicly soldering.;)

Here's another one to try for aluminum. A competing product. Alumiweld. [url]http://virtual-adnet.com/alumiweld/alumiweld.htm[/url] Either product is not soldering. You can lay a bead on a flat surface and not be able to chop it off. What's nice is the ability to bridge gaps with these products. How many people can repair cast iron successfully? Not many. These products are gifts to the amateur.

There was an info-mercial on last week about it. I was impressed with what the person demonstrating it could do with it, with a propane torch. But, it's also 50 bucks a pound.

About the gas tank thing!!!!! Some of you may be experienced welders and some may not. I had a friend get seriously injured trying to weld a gas tank, here is the scoop. my job requires me to do professional welding quite regularly on any vessel, here are the rules. open the cap on the container such as a gas tank and open the exit line. run a hose from a vehicle exhaust to the largest opening. let the vehicle run and purge all oxygen from the container. let it run for several minutes. if there is not contained oxygen there can be no fire. if there is a better way i havent found it on small contgainers such as drum of former questionable content and gas tanks. this is no joke, if you have never been around to see a gas tank explode from this operation done incorrectly it is comparable to a small grenade. this scares the hell out of me when i do it and i have been doing it for years so please be careful! as for this new alumaloy stuff i havent tried it, but, the commercial looks good though. but if you only go to 750 degrees, if you dont get hot enough to melt the base metals and begin feeding the rod how can you have a strong joint. seems you just piling this material on top. may work, i just dont see how it could be strong. thats just me though. badcars

;)Badcars, :DYou said it way much better than me. If the parent metal isn't melting, it is in no way welding! It world be either a brazing or soldering operation. Which do have their places. And yes Woody, it sure is a very handy thing to have around. I got mine for way less than $50 a pound or it never would have been here, so please shop around. Agricola, It could have been impurities in the aluminum or something, because I used it on a Starcraft boat and it is still holding yet today. This stuff as any aluminum work, it has to be super clean. You are even to use a clean SS brush to clean it, not cardon steel.

quote:
Originally posted by JoeJ
Yes, but still hitting gas tank with a flame, and some don't know how to do it, and others of us do and are just plain chicken!! hehehe.........Yup that would be me.B)xx( But as I said, I know the alumaloy works. I did 2 pieces of scrap first. I abused these as mabey a stormwindow would be abused. Then I beat the livin stuffin out of it and was really suprised what it took to beark it apart. With these heats, your basicly soldering.;)

Badcars There is an alternative to the exhaust fumes in a tank, and is probably better. Purge the tank or container with a CO² fire extinguisher.