Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Grader Blade Sold on e-bay

stevenj

The auction on the grader blade just ended and the blade went for $255.00 plus $35.00 shipping. Too much for my taste. See the link below for the other members comments on the hitch modifications. http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25130 Did one of the club members pick this up?

Steve I don't think the buyer is a member but not sure. $300 does seem pricey but remember this stuff is getting harder to find every day. I was prepared to make an 11th hour bid of $150 or so but that went out the window fast! As to our comments in the linked thread, I don't think they were as much of a warning not to waste money on it as to be sure everyone was aware of some minor questions. I saw nothing that could not be made right with a little work. Heck,most of my stuff, including five tractors and over a dozen implements was picked up needing "a little work". Just a few thoughts. Larry

I found the blade surfing e-bay one day and put a bid on it and had it for several days. Then I "discovered" the additional postings on the E-bay forum here and thought "oh-great, did I screw up?", so I e-mailed the guy to find out what the dimensions on the mounting tabs were. He said it was already packed for shipping so he measured the tractor it had been mounted on. I figured it would still mount up ok even though it had been modified. The hitch looked like it wasn't completely homemade but that it had been "simply" modified to fit the large frame tractors. I was watching it minute by minute up to the end and 5 seconds or so before the auction ended, the bid went from $228 to $255. The final bidders might have been using a sniping service, I don't know. I've never bought off e-bay so I don't profess to know the ins and outs of bidding. I had a price range in mind that I was willing to pay and if someone wants to pay more, so be it. This past summer JJ Nemes had a grader blade for sale and I think he was asking $175, which I didn't think was too bad but if I remember right he wanted $85 to ship to my house. $260 seemed a little high to me at the time, but in retrospect, based on this latest auction, that might not have been a bad deal after all. Oh well, live and learn and be better prepared next time. I've often thought that this club has its good points and bad points. The good point is that you can draw on the knowledge and experience of other members who have many years of experience with these pieces of machinery. The bad point is that people can see that there are a bunch of guys (& gals) that are really interested in this equipment, who prior to this club were for the most part relatively anonymous. Since there is this well documented interest in Simplicity and Allis Chalmers, I think the prices are being somewhat inflated (the old supply vs. demand theory). I'm not complaining, just stating an observation and opinion.

Hey, I just noticed that I've graduated from "New Member" to "Participating Member". I guess that calls for a drink (I'll take a glass of water).

Congrats Steve! As for the "bad" aspect I've wondered about that too but I also see the same price increases for Wheel Horse,Cub and JD so it may just be the nature of the beast.And if you've ever priced JD stuff you won't worry too much about what we have to give for our SimpletrACtors. I feel like the real "culprit" in the prices is a combination of P-poor quality of the new stuff, the extreme expense of collecting bigger tractors/trucks/cars, and the nostalgia of owning something we had as kids. Just some thoughts. Larry

Wow,I would think you could have a shop make one for that kind of money...If your handy and could do it yourself you could make a couple for that...

;)Kevin, You got it. Dutch has been selling an awsome looking blade, and I believe, plans for the hitch come with it. :DI know when I'm ready, I'm going the Dutch route. If permitted, might even cheap out and go pick it up, just to meet and shake hands with the cantanrous old goat.

quote:
Wow,I would think you could have a shop make one for that kind of money...If your handy and could do it yourself you could make a couple for that...
You Could but the wouldn't be original Simplicity Equipment LOL:) I Do agree that I wouldn't spend that much myself I got my for Basicly free I bought a Tractor implements and Kept the blade and sold the Tractor and implements for what I paid... I also have one of the Serrated Blade from dutch....

Joe, Do you know where I can get Dutch's plans for the blades he makes. I would like the plans for the hitch too. I have a 17 GTH-L and a pretty good size gravel driveway. My front blade works good, but a center blade would be perfect. Thanks in advance.
quote:
Originally posted by JoeJ
;)Kevin, You got it. Dutch has been selling an awsome looking blade, and I believe, plans for the hitch come with it. :DI know when I'm ready, I'm going the Dutch route. If permitted, might even cheap out and go pick it up, just to meet and shake hands with the cantanrous old goat.

Van, The blade he has made for him, and I think what I read was he included the hitch drawings with purchase of a blade. You can wait for him to catch your post here or PM him. I'm sure he can better explain this to you than me. I don't think I've seen an e-bay sale lately, so perhaps he is getting ready to order again.

Well If Dutch is reading this thread i would be interested in one of his blade/plans combo's. I too have been looking in vain for a grader blade ,as i am starting a new home in the spring for my new family :) I think i can save some $$ on portions of the landscaping, at least that is the excuse I am using to buy the stuff :)

Dutch normaly asks in here if any member is interested before ordering. So I'm sure he will get in touch with you both. And that brings up another point, Wonder where he's been. Hope everything is ok down his way.

I've sold quite a few of the graders and the least I got was $225 and the most wasaround $270. Friend of mine has been getting $300 for newer ones with stirrups, take it or leave it.

quote:
Originally posted by JoeJ
Dutch normaly asks in here if any member is interested before ordering. So I'm sure he will get in touch with you both. And that brings up another point, Wonder where he's been. Hope everything is ok down his way.
Joe, I'm on here several times a day but don't post unless I can add something. You guys have everything pretty well covered lately. As for the blades, I still have several in stock. Gave eBay a rest for the holidays. Probably will be placing another factory order in the spring.

1). They're practically no maintenance. 2). They'll last FOREVER. 3.) They'll do a lot of work. (Translates into providing a whole lot of Tractor Time). :D

Bought one of the blades off dutch this fall. he does give you the plans for a hitch. he emails them to you. the blade is a real heavy duty unit. about a month after i bought one from him i made a deal with a guy on a b-10 that came with an original blade. not as thick a blade, but still heavy duty stuff. if i price out what i paid for everything i think i got the blade for about $150 to $170. my advice? if you gotta have one don't worry about the price, otherwise get one from dutch and then bide your time on buying an original. not everyone on the planet thinks a blade is worth over $200.

if you rlike me, you could get this lucky last year. a neighbor landlord died and his son gave me 100 to clean out the barn before auction. four riders and an allis blade mount and gradere blade. needed only minor modification to fit my tractor. i love free stuff. by the way the other riders were all ayp junk. but all sold promptly in my yard after a little work for 150 a piece. i really love free stuff when i can also make money. badcars

$255 sounds like an awful lot for a blade, Up here we have come across a guy that wants 150 canadian for a blade. I think thats more around a reasonable price

These mid mount blades are more harder to find.[:0] I have not seen one for sale yet,bought my mid mount blade several years ago before I had any Simplicity or Allis Chalmers tractors.:D [url]www.simplicityva.com[/url] Karl