Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tail lights

Nubian

I loved the lights I saw on an earlier post,I love these SIMPLE projects that I can handle, any way the before pictures are on my gallery 8D

Yes Eddy, a picture is worth a thousand words. Or the price of a set of tires;). I like those lights. Are they the rubber mounted truck marker lights? They look a lot like the side markers on my Mack. For the older tractors like a Big Ten I am going to use the bullet style markers like were on the old sixties trucks. Larry

I can't seem to find it now but this is the website of the company that makes them, I used the model 30 ^ http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=23814&langId=-1

Eddy, On my old service truck, I had the old style taillights that were solid mount. Due to vibration I was constantly changing bulbs. I went to the taillight versision of those and never had another one go. ;)And that is a very sweet looking job! You get that much nicer, your going to have to arm wrasle your wife for driving rights.

quote:
On my old service truck, I had the old style taillights that were solid mount. Due to vibration I was constantly changing bulbs.
Yes We always had the Same problem on the Wreckers we drove for years and with the Flush mounts your not as able to knock them off.. I had thought of putting taillights on one of my older units but just don't like the thought of cutting or drilling holes...

I had a project at a Scout camp I worked at. I had to drill a bunch of holes to mount those types of lights. Believe it or not, a good quality hole saw will do a great job of cutting out those holes. They might need to be reamed a bit but the hole saw won't give you an oval.

Eddie, Are they "LED" lights? If so, where do you get them. The superbrite LED's are the future of vehicle lighting. Seeing them on trucks and even stoplights now. They make great Christmas lights too cuz they are just plain "Cool".;)

Thanks for the compliments guys,but I can'take the credit on this idea I got it from goatfarmer on an earlier post. On one of my earlier replies I put a link up for Trucklites. But I got mine from my local Napa auto parts store. the lights came out to ithink less than 10.00 + 14.00 for a 2 1/4" hole saw. Yes they are LED.If you can't get them where you are, I'll get them for you.

If you can't find them near you try a truck stop. Most of them have a wide assortment of lights. Buy the LED ones they use very little amperage. They also make these in a 1.5" dia. We have Led lightbars on some of the police cars at work. The whole bar runs off of a 7.5amp fuse. and once they are lit I can cut the voltage down to 4-5 volts and they still work.

Those are really a clean neat installation and appearance. I would love to find (I haven't looked yet, but know they are out there) a set that are dual purpose. Red when you want'em and bright or white for a work light, ect. I really like your setup.

I was toying with the idea of reverse lights, it seems that my family doesn't realize how dangerous it is to just walk up behind me while i'm working.But with my hydro I figured the wiring would be just too complicated and I could not find a nice set of lights that would fit. The warning beeps are annoying but better safe than sorry.

I have lights on the rear of both my tractors, mainly because in a snow storm i do a few houses in the area and i have to drive a few blocks out in the street. On my old 3112 i have strobes in the front and in the rear. On my new Sovereign I just have lights in the rear for now, $$$ is a little tight to put them in the front. What i found for the sovereign was some flush-mount flashing LED lights, take a look I kind of like the way they look, plus i only had to drill 3 tiny holes on each side to put them in. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/roma3112/lights.JPG [/img]

John Where did you get the flashing led lights. I need to replace the red lights I have mounted on the top rear of my cab as I backed into something and lost one of the lenses and those lights are NLA. The ones you mounted are just what I want and with a three pole three position momentaty throw switch set up they could be used for directional signals. Do they have amber to? Rear cab lights

Front cab lights

4 position switch panel Switch 1 Defroster Switch 2 Rotator and rear cab lights Switch 3 Front cab work lights Switch 4 Windshield wiper Please excuse the wireing mess I rewired some of it today and didn't put it back into a wire loom

Maynard here is a link to the style of light i used, to use them as directionals you will have to buy another power suply because they are wires together. I purchased mine at a local cop shop but this place is pretty cheap, although thay are not as bright as strobes they look better cosmeticaly on the new"baby" Also you can run up to four of these led lights on the one power supply. Wireing them was easy asa could be, there is a comon ground, the power supply has a left and right hot, and ther is an optional momentary pos terminal to change flash patterns. http://rimindustries.com/able2/12.5003.htm

Maynard now that i think about it you could use them as directionals; you could use a multi-pole switch to interupt current to either light having the same desired effect.

Maynard Are those lights on the back grote brand? They look like the ones used on the back of some cubs. I have seen the lights and lens on e-bay and others sites for cubs like this one. http://www.urschelsccconnection.netfirms.com/

Can LED's be used as lighting such as a rear work light. I am unfamiliar with this application of LED lights. I love the compact design and ease of mounting. I did notice that there are even mounting brackets available. I like that so that I wouldn't have to cut my sheet metal. Any info appreciated.

Dale thesy particular lights are meant to be used as warning/signalling devices, you can not use them in a steady burn application, the brackets are supplied with the lights they allow them to be mounded say on a rear deck of a crown vic or similar horizontal surface. They are not as bright in the day as strobes (IMO) but they "fit the look of the machine" better I jus couldnt bring myself to hacking up the machine before it hits a year old LOL good luck john