Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lift Rod Spring - Purpose?

PhanDad

What's the purpose of the spring on the lift rod? To put some down pressure on a dozer blade or snowthrower? I don't have any manuals that explain the set up. In the pic below, you can see how the stops are set; they pretty much allow total free float when "down" and a decent amount lift when "up". (the electric lift is in the full "down" position)

I'm guessing I should have the upper collar lower on the rod to apply some spring tension on level ground. Opinions? Thanks.

Looks like you've got it right to me, the reason for the spring is so you can push down without forcing. Say you hit a bump, or a rock, the spring will take the punishment instead of the rod and linkage. Rob

quote:
Originally posted by ROBBYDOB
Looks like you've got it right to me, the reason for the spring is so you can push down without forcing. Say you hit a bump, or a rock, the spring will take the punishment instead of the rod and linkage. Rob
Give that man a cigar....;)

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
Didn't they go to these spring-loaded rods when they went to electric lifts -- which do not have a float position?
Right in there somwhere.I have a picture of a 3314 with a 46 inch blade with the rod and collars , but the spring is removed in the picture.

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
Didn't they go to these spring-loaded rods when they went to electric lifts -- which do not have a float position?
I use the springloaded rod on my little "stiffee" plow on the B 12. Lock it down with just a little tension and it stops most of the "bounce" from the oversized gravel I got. Still have gravel to clean up in the spring but once there is a good hardpack surface, I run without skidshoes and it does a very good goob of scraping the driveway down. I can keep the hardpack thin enough that one good afternoon of sunshine melts the whole driveway. My 2 cents;)