Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6216 Slowed To Stop Today..

JohnF

Hi, Drove my 1984 6216 down the driveway today, stopped to shift into 2nd gear, and it just slowed to a stop and wouldn't move. The belts are on and nothing seems broken. I think this happened to me this Summer and all I did was turn the engine off and jostle the variator a bit. No luck today!:(! Any one have any thoughts? Going to try and re-adjust the variator tomorrow following the Owner's Manual. Think it's time for a new Conquest!! John

John, I also have a 6216 that does exactly the same thing once in a while. I'm not sure if this is your problem but the following is what I do when this happens: look under the tractor at the rear belt, between the variator pully and the large pully on the transaxle is a spring loaded take up pully, check to see if the spring is stretched past the center point, if it is this will act as though the clutch is depressed but the brake is not engaged, with the engine stopped, reach under and pull the pully foreward until it engages the belt and off you go till it happens again. when this happens it isn't time to adjust the variator, it's time to replace the belt set. Hope this is what you needed. Mel_W

I hope Mel W is right, I also have a 6216 and just recenly had to replace the transmission because the main input shaft was sheared off, unfortunately if the large pulley on your transaxle is spinning and the belt is tight this might be the case.Fortunately parts are available. A few other tidbits of info on the 6216 or Allis 800 series. If you get a used one and the manual transaxle has gear oil in it or if you are of a mind to change the transaxle fluid dont use gear oil the specs call for Simplicity hydraulic fluid or more simply put ATF fluid,thats right, automatic transmission fluid. Another thing that is crucial: there are rubber grommets around the bolts that attach the large pulley to the input shaft on the transaxle and there is also a spring on the shaft assembly and the pulley assembly. These are there to absorb the shock of start and stop if either or both are missing it could be putting undue stress on the input shaft and transaxle assembly.

Mel-W, Back in business! Jacked up the tractor and found wheel turning in gear ok. Pedal seemed soft, so tightened the spring (K, figure 20, page 27 of the Manual) and the tractor started to move again. Think I have 2 problems, an old weak spring and belts starting to wear. Now, to make it thru the Winter! Thanks to everybody for their help. John