Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I'm satisfied with them....., are you satisfied?

SmilinSam

Just winged through this project. No plans, just a tape measure, square, torch, welder, Iron, and the drawing board in my mind....8D [img]http://a1.cpimg.com/image/99/70/27700121-2ed7-015C018E-B.jpg[/img] Just borrowed a few ideas here and there and put them all together. [img]http://a2.cpimg.com/image/9A/70/27700122-55d9-02440168-B.jpg[/img] Didn't have a set of real forks, so I went with the idea of spears. I liked the idea of being able to remove the points when I'm mowing so I made these pin in to recievers. This way I can remover them as needed. Also makes for easy replacement if I bend one. 1 1/2" round rod shouldn't bend too awful easy though. [img]http://a4.cpimg.com/image/9C/70/27700124-673f-022801B8-.jpg[/img] Also made the cross shaft removeable from the side so I can replace the fork supports if needed. There are catches in the back that hook over a rail to keep the forks from swinging out when head is tilted down. There are locking bolts at the back of each fork where it slides on the cross shaft to be tightened so they wont slide when in operation. Loosen them up to move the forks in or out. [img]http://a3.cpimg.com/image/9B/70/27700123-8885-01F601AC-.jpg[/img] I did manage to keep the weight within 5 lbs of the material bucket that originally came with the loader so I didn't screw up my lift capacity. MAx width on the spears is 26" on center. Minimum width is about 6" on center. I made them 36" long. Was going to go with 30" but thought I'd try out 36" and if that does not work, I can always cut them down later.

Well they look good to Me,, You know about how things look on the screen sometimes. Just swing by some time leave it for a while and I'll test em for you. Nice Job!!!

Nice Sam. I've been tinkering with some scrap steel laying around for the last few days. I'm in the process of a rear pallet lift for a B 12. My biggest dilemma (other than the hacksaw, I dont have a torch) has been the strength of the forks. I never considered round stock. I'm only thinking 30" long forks with only a little side to side adjustment. I dont expect to pick much over 200 or 250 pounds with a manual lift but it beats carrying parts around by hand. I'll have to look and see if I have 60" of round stock stashed somewhere. I also considered gussets but didnt think it would work because they would be in the way. Doesnt look like they are on yours though. I like the catches in the back hooked over the rail too. Next is to get the 2 lower arms and the single upper positioned right so that lowered, the forks tilt down and raised they tilt up since I dont have the luxury of tilt cylinders. You dont mind if I copy off your drawing board a little bit do you?;) You know what they say about Imitation and Flattery:D:D

Sam You could sell that as a kit. Looks great. My buddie Charlie has a new idea loader on a 550 oliver. He had a guy modify the ends to take bobcat attachments. He has a bucket and a set of adjustable forks for it too If he needs anything else all he has to do is buy bobcat attachments. Too cool. Your idea looks real simple and using available stuff is always good.

quote:
Originally posted by Allis B12
They look really nice. Wish I had that kind of metalworking skill. What will you do with a forklift, though?
Thanks for all the compliments. Skills and talent are on loan from God. I try do do the most with what I'm given. Actually I was scared of welding and using a torch. Then one day a long time ago I just decided to buy a welder , read a few manuals, talk to a few welding vets and just started in. Not a pro by any means , but the more practice I get the better we seem to do. A forklift allows me to buy heavier and /or bulkier items at auctions for resale on Ebay. Lets me be able to off load them from my trailer when I get home and easily move them around here . I also can easily load things into buyer trucks when I sell something. I'll use these forks infinately more often than I will the bucket.

Sam, Did you fab the whole black frame we see? Is the loader self leveling as you raise and lower? I understand the, "its in my head" thing. I do a lot of building with wood that is the same way. Can't put it on paper but I see it plain as day. I like the tractor. It will serve your needs and then some for a long time. What engine does it have in it?

quote:
Originally posted by DaleC
Sam, Did you fab the whole black frame we see? Is the loader self leveling as you raise and lower? I understand the, "its in my head" thing. I do a lot of building with wood that is the same way. Can't put it on paper but I see it plain as day. I like the tractor. It will serve your needs and then some for a long time. What engine does it have in it?
I built the whole head unit, black frame and red forks. Thats the only drawback, the loader on this ttractor is not self leveling, but I can live with that. This one has twice the capacity of the loader on the GArden Tractor, though the one on thegarden tractor is self leveling. Getting a few nibbles on the smaller one again so hopefully it will be sold soon. TRactor has a 3 cyl liquid cooled Iseki Diesel, 23 Hp with 18.5 PTO HP. I generally don't use plans making stuff out of steel or wood. At the most I jot a few notes on paper and go from there. MAke it up as you go and you are truly using that Creative Spirit unique to each individual.

quote:
Originally posted by gearhead
Hey Sam Is that a wood burning stove you got back there?
I put a post in the SHop talk forum on that....

Here we are taking out the trash:D [img]http://a0.cpimg.com/image/FA/7B/27748090-3833-019800D8-.jpg[/img] Next project after the Cadet I'm working on will be building a weight carrier for the 3 point hitch. The little JD is about as high as it can go without making the tractor too light in the rear without extra weight. Nice part about this rig is when I lose alittle rear traction I just shove the lever forward and lock it into 4 wheel drive...;)

Nice job Sam! ^:D The paint job also made it look factory^! What kind of weight are you thinking of? What were all the reasons you went with the Massey over a Simplicity? One post said something about the mower deck? Keep posting the new homemade attachments!^

Sam, That little MF should have a 3 point on the rear. Have you just thought about getting a backblade? Or maybe filling the tires with beet juice? Steve