Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

non-starter

PaulK

Have been unable to get my Sovereign 3112 to start. Battery charged, fuel, spark, air, all ok. Muffler seems to suck in instead of of blowing out, so we suspect a sticky valve(s). How do I best attack this problem, without knowing much about what I'm doing?

If you have a briggs on the 3112, the sucking back of the exhaust a little is not uncommon. It is part of the easyspin pressure release built into the tractor. Remove the air cleaner and center support. Place the heal of your hand over the air horn and cover the hole in the bottom with a finger. Crank, and it will start.

If the trouble is a stuck valve, there will not be a "Bump" as you spin it. THe "Bump" is caused by the compression stroke. A normal engine spins and makes a whomp whomp whomp sound. An engine with a stuck valve just goes Shuuuuuuuuuuuuu. Not very scientific I know.. But true none the less..

Also check for water ,it is the only subsatnce that will kill my 10 hp Briggs, "dead" ......many have tried,all have failed,water just don't burn well :o( Jim

The points or plug gaps could be off just a little bit. My engine (same as yours) won't start easily if the carb mixture isn't set just right, or if the gaps aren't right.

My thought on this would be to remove the spark plug and add a couple drops of gas to the cylinder reinstall the spark plug and crank the engine, if it fires then your problem is fuel and likely to be a stuck needle valve or a plugged filter. If the engine doesn't fire the problem could be plug, points, coil, or timing. Just my 2c worth. Good luck!

Points 90% of the time. Clean or replace and gap at .020 or replace with a trigger modules. Works almost every time. Brent