Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
PaulK

non-starter

PaulK
Have been unable to get my Sovereign 3112 to start. Battery charged, fuel, spark, air, all ok. Muffler seems to suck in instead of of blowing out, so we suspect a sticky valve(s). How do I best attack this problem, without knowing much about what I'm doing?

DaleC
If you have a briggs on the 3112, the sucking back of the exhaust a little is not uncommon. It is part of the easyspin pressure release built into the tractor. Remove the air cleaner and center support. Place the heal of your hand over the air horn and cover the hole in the bottom with a finger. Crank, and it will start.

Salthart
If the trouble is a stuck valve, there will not be a "Bump" as you spin it. THe "Bump" is caused by the compression stroke. A normal engine spins and makes a whomp whomp whomp sound. An engine with a stuck valve just goes Shuuuuuuuuuuuuu. Not very scientific I know.. But true none the less..

ReedS
My thought on this would be to remove the spark plug and add a couple drops of gas to the cylinder reinstall the spark plug and crank the engine, if it fires then your problem is fuel and likely to be a stuck needle valve or a plugged filter. If the engine doesn't fire the problem could be plug, points, coil, or timing. Just my 2c worth. Good luck!