Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Synthetic Simplicity Multipurpose oil

roma3112

I was out this morning changing the oil and greasing my 3112h when i go tto thinking if there is a 100% synthetic equivolent to the tranny/bgb oil that i use in my new Sovereign. I know that the old machine uses 90wt in the bgb and transmission and ATF for the hydro; but my new machine uses 1 type of oil for all. Do you know of any 100% synthetic oil out in the stores that I can safley use in my new Sovereign for the BGB and tranny? thanks john

Mph My newer Sovereign uses "simplicity multipurpos hydrolic transmission oil" It is used in the Bgb, Tranny gearcase, and hydro unit. I was wanting to upgrade to synthetic if there was an quivolent type oil out there that wont void the rest of my warranty. thanks john

John, I'm sure AMS has one. Pretty sure all thier oils keep warrent folks happy but check with your dealer first. I'm not up on thier hydralic oils but after testing powersteering fluid today I might have to check into it. No wonder the pump complains at 40 below, course then I couldn't tell how cold it is by starting the truck.

Maynard any idea on which type/brand it may be. I know in the good old days there was dextron and type f now there are a bufet of choicesat my local autozone. thanks john

John No brand name off the top of my head. I know it is available as a customer of mine brought some in to have me install it in his truck It used ATF in the manual transmission and transfer case. he also had some synthetic 90wt gear lube for the differentials.

Well seing that it is still under warranty I called the factory this morning, the gentleman I spoke to in the service Dept said that they were not aware of any synthetic equivolents out there for thheir "Multipurpose oil" So i guess I will stick with the factory stuff. thanks for all your help john

The Simplicity Sovereign Series Operator's Manual states both the bevel gear box fluid and the hydrostatic transmission fluid is Simplicity Multi-Purpose Hydro Transmission Oil, part #1685516. The Simplicity Large Frame Garden Tractor Service & Repair Manual states in the Sundstrand Series 15 Hydrostatic Transmission specifications section, the hydraulic fluid to be Type A, F or Dextron automatic transmission fluid or Simplicity Multi Purpose Hydraulic Fluid. I have used ATF successfully in the transmission of an older tractor and is still running it today, but that tractor did not have hydraulic lift or power steering. The question is, "Are the hydraulic lift and power steering hydraulic control valves and cylinder seals compatible with ATF?" I use Mobil 1 synthetic 75W90 gear lubricant in the bevel gear box. Also, Mobil does make a Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

bill thanks for the additional info, i think i will stick to what is in there for a bit, I was only wanting to change because i noticed that in the cold the tranny and hydro have to warm up a bit for the lift to be at 100% plus where the machine is soo new i was thinking to use the synth from the get go to keep things protected. thanks john

• 4 weeks later...
I buy the Simplicity Hydro oil in 1685538 - Case of 2 - 2.5 gal. containers Multi-purpose hydraulic/transmission oil. Jacks price ~$46

Here is a site that has some neat info about oils. Note the comments on the synthetics. Based on this article it more than makes sense to use synthetics. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_External.asp?LinkID=64&CatTitle=