Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Allis_B12

Finally ready for winter

bigcountry
That's a nice 400 you got there. Your A/C is nice, but looks a little small, compared to the 400. But I believe with both machines, you'll enjoy playing in the snow. I'm sure that A/C is handy in the small places where the 400 can't get into or turn around in. Have fun, with what ever you're running!

Allis_B12
My father owns the 400. It's huge, the picture makes it look smallish. He puts a 300 lb. concrete weight on the back hitch, so it does have a lot of traction in snow. It's got 20 horsepower, but it still can't mow with the A/C. The B is also a cinch to back up with a cart. When the JD caught on fire while I was mowing, I decided I wanted a more reliable tractor of my own, and so I'm here.

bigcountry
I've never had any problems with the John Deeres I have and/or run. Really the only thing I miss about the Simplicity 4211 I sold was that it could mow in the tight places that I couldn't get my JD into, it was physically smaller as well as having a great turning radius. Only thing, that Simplicity was bad about scalping and used more gas than my 18hp V-twin JD and it was only 11hp Single Cylinder.

DaleC
Joel, I will never forget what my 2nd son said when he saw my B-12. "It looks like a tractor." I am sure he was expecting a lawn mower. Look at that 400 and tell me it doesn't look like a lawn mower with a bad case of the blowt. Especially with those running boards;). Pound for pound you will get more work out of the bee than the big green frog. I hope a 720 is in my future somewhere. If I am going to go big, Please let it be orange. Nice tractor. Tell me, does your left wheel get all green with grass when you mow? Mine does and it drive me crazy. Here is what I mean. Please, I have used mine about a 1000 hrs the past three years and It has never had more than a garden hose turned on it. Notice the rear wheel.

rokon2813
My B 12 gets ggrss all over the tire. So did my landlord. So did my Baron. I dont know if a grass deflector would cure it or not. Never tried. I think the opening goes too far back on the deck. But thats only my opinion. In the spring I may try a little cardboard and duct tape over the back 4 inches of the opening just to see what happens. If it works for one mowing I'll make a guard for it, if not nothings wasted, I'll just deal with it.

DaleC
Marty let me clarify. I mow the whole country on this end of the road. And I have been four years. I misstated the three. I also worked up two acres with it to seed in grass. I know that I got some serious tractor time doing that. I have a full acre plowed right now but I am going to start "sharing" time with the Big Ten. I never used it much before the 12 broke down with a bad axle, but to be honest, it is a better mowing tractor than the B-12. Truth is, whatever is up and running, and I can use, I like!!

Allis_B12
Dale, I took a look at my left rear wheel today. It is a little green, somewhat white, and the grayish color grass gets when it is rotting. These clippings are probably over 15 years old (last time mower was used before I took it). It would take a putty knife or more to get the baked-on clippings off. Marty, I think the 48" decks had real discharge chutes. My 42" doesn't have any chute for safety or to direct clippings outwards.

tractormike
On my 2010, B-10 and Big Ten and B-12 all the left rear wheels have rust on them and the ones on the right side are in much better shape, must be due to the grass discharge on that side.

maxtorman1234
I took a quick look at the picture, and also thought that the opening goes too far back. It probably would help to get a deflector, because the way it is, the grass can get blown directly onto the tire.