Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Attempting my first restoration........

simplicity707

We'll, I decided I will start to fix up that old '64 Broadmoor. I went to the storage garage (my grandpa) and snapped some pics of it b4 it gets taken apart. This will be my first by myself, and I'm kind of anxious to get going on her. I could only get some pics of the front 'cause there's so much junk piled on it. I hope that you guys will help me through this! I know I'm gonna save the decals 'cause they are in pretty good shape. I think I'm gonna take it all apart and sand each piece, primer it, then paint it. Does anybody know if the tire sealant you put in the tires does work? The front left tire (when sitting on the tractor) is flat, and it always goes flat within a few days, and I wondered if it worked. Also, one of the last times I drove it, I think it popped out of gear. I'm not sure if it was this one, but I think it was. What do I do about this problem, Is it a minor or major problem? I don't think it did it often, but once in awhile you'd be driving and it would pop out of gear. Also, could I get a wiring diagram? What is the key on the dash used for? I can't figure out where to wire it in at. I have the starter generator for it, but I seem to be missing all the nuts and bolts to hook it up. I know it's missing the adjustment bracket, and the belt guard. Are those easy to find? For some reason, when I bought the system they weren't included. I don't know why, but they weren't. Also, what size is the nut that goes on the flywheel? I went to the hardware store, and bought a pack of nuts and they were to big, so I'm not sure what size they are. I'm sorry about all of the questions I'm asking, but I'm excited and I want to make sure that I'm doing this right. I just have one more question, Can you get paint off of decals? I have a set of black fenders (painted by the previous owner, not me), and he painted over the "Broadmoor" decal, and I was wondering if that black paint could be removed. Does anybody have a good set of fenders? How have you done your restortaions? Sorry so many questions, I want to do it up right:D:D!

I used Fix-A-Flat in my one of my old front tires on my tractor. It lasted about a month, then the tire would deflate itself in cold weather. It's better to just buy new tires and have a tire shop mount them. Then the rims are ready for painting, and won't be wrecked by putting on new tires.

quote:
Originally posted by ka9bxg
I put tubes in them.I got another 10 years more of them until they fell apart
:D Pretty Frugal Bob. How many years total were on the tires before they gave their all? I tried the new tubes in old tires once and made it about ten feet into the yard when the tubes blew the sidewalls out of the tire:D Rats!

SmilinSam, I think you live in my backyard. Your in New Windsor, and I'm in Cambridge. What maybe a half an hour away? I'm glad to know there is a club member who lives near me!

Dave, I've been able to remove paint sometimes but not always. I used carburetor cleaner on a paper towel. I got the paint off without hurting the decal but some other times it will take the print off of the decal. I think it depends on the type of decal. If you want a wiring diagram its in the manual. Go to www.simplicitytechpubs.com and click on the tractor. Then type in 990287 and select the parts manual. I'm pretty sure it has the wiring diagram. You may want to select to save the manual to your computer, there are some other good broadmoor manuals. I'll try to get a link set up or something. Don't be sorry about the questions, we're glad to help. I'm working on a '64 as well and just got some parts painted Friday so I'm off to a good start. I'll have to check on that flywheel nut and I'll let you know. Good luck. Chris

Dave, go to this link: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/v_techpubsearch.php#start and type in TP-569 That should bring up a repair manual for the complete broadmoor series which has lots of information, I have it in book form and its useful.

Dave dont be afraid to ask questions, thats how you learn. I also live about a hour and a half from smilinsam(how has help me out a lot). Thanks sam for the fine bev-gears they are working fine. Id say tube it if your rubber is good to fair. But tubes run around here like $4 and new rubber 2 plys run around 18 to 24 buck so its hard to say where you should put your hard earned mowin money. But the flustration of a low tire all the time is worth doing it right. I'm new here and a first timer to Simplicity/AC and love the site, good luck Dave...

quote:
Originally posted by simplicity707
SmilinSam, I think you live in my backyard. Your in New Windsor, and I'm in Cambridge. What maybe a half an hour away? I'm glad to know there is a club member who lives near me!
20 - 30 minutes tops. LAst year I hauled two broadmoors back from Canbridge. I generally run through Andover and Cambridge on my way to Geneseo and Kewanee on tractor runs. I usually keepp a watchful eye on Stenzels auction listings too...

I also watch the Stenzels auctions sometimes. They might have what I'm looking for. Where did you get the Broadmoors from if you don't mind telling me. I put in a bid on the two Broadmoors you had for sale on eBay with the snow thrower, but I lost the auction. Oh well, better luck next time I guess. Thanx for the wiring diagram Chris. That will help me out a lot. I'm going to buy sandpaper and primer and maybe some orange paint this afternoon. I can't wait to get started!

Dave good luck with the restoration..! Im going to be starting a restoration of my 65 landlord..i also havea 67ish broadmoor that im thinking about restoring... Im gonna start taking the 65 apart this week...and take each piece into the basement where im planning on stripping it ...then im planning on being able to paint it...I thouhgt about spray paint but have since decided to go with automotive paint...Its gonna hold up longer and look better longer...THinking about rebuilding the motor...but ill probably wait and do that when its needed...let me know how your restoration is going! jay

We'll, I went to the local Wal-Mart to look at paint for the Broadmoor. They had two different kinds to choose from. The first one was Color Place, exact Orange - 97 cents a can. The second one they had was Krylon, a Pumpkin Orange at $2.87 a can. Then I went to Menards and they had Allis-Clamers Orange at $3.47 a can. The tough part, which paint do I choose? I know if I go with the more expensive paint, the quality will better, but theres not much money to spend with this fix up. I did buy spray paint and sand paper, and I so far have sanded the grill support on her. I know I'm gonna wait to paint it til it gets warmer outside. I'm gonna do the exact same thing with mine...take it apart and haul the pieces down to the basement and sand them down there where it is a little bit warmer down there. I think tomorrow I'm gonna go take somemore of the Broadmoor apart and haul the pieces home.

quote:
Originally posted by simplicity707
I also watch the Stenzels auctions sometimes. They might have what I'm looking for. Where did you get the Broadmoors from if you don't mind telling me.
An elderly woman called me on my on one of my pick up junk tractor ads. If you come into town from Andover, instead of turning right to follow the highway, go straight past the Courthouse, past stenzils and the auto dealership on down the street to the stop sign .She lives right there in the big house on the left before you go over the steep drop off to the stop sign. There were two gravely walkers slowly sinking into the dirt last time I went by next to the garage.

I think I know where thats at. I live right by there. I've seen those Gravelys, and I've been tempted to stop by and ask if they would sell them. If I recall, I think it had a tiller on the front of it, not sure though. Was it by an auto body shop? I live right by there. Were they '64 Broadmoors or newer? I can't believe I missed those! Oh well. BTW, the restoration is going good so far. It ended up being three coats of paint on the grill support frame. The outer was blue, the second one was white, and the third was the original orange. All of the paint is off, down to the bare metal. I worked my buns of getting all that paint off! LOL Tomorrow, I'm gonna start taking that Broadmoor all apart and bring some pieces home. I figure if I do a little at a time, I can work. I don't want to overwhelm myslef with all the parts. I'm also keeping a record book with all the reciepts, and what I did to it that day. I don't know why, but I thought i'd be neat just to keep record.....

Dave, It's a good idea to keep records, so you'll know just what went where (money). Then if you ever restore another tractor, you'll have something to do a pretty good estimate with. It may even help others if you are asked for an opinion. I hope you do better than me though. I usually start off keeping records, then about half way through a project I don't take the time needed for the record keeping and just keep on working. Oh well... Good luck to ya!

Thats right, on the other side of the body shop I think. Her son owns the Gravelys and didn't want to sell them at that time. Might be ready now, who knows. Both the Broadmoors were 66 or 67 models. Pretty well junk. They were in the tall weeds that were behind the Gravelys. You couldn't see them for the weeds.

I can't believe I missed them. I go up and down that alley a lot. I must not have been paying that much attention, just figuring that it was only the gravelys sitting there. Oh well, I have enough tractors to fix up, like the one in this post! thanx for telling me about them.

quote:
Originally posted by gregc
Dave, It's a good idea to keep records, so you'll know just what went where (money). Then if you ever restore another tractor, you'll have something to do a pretty good estimate with. It may even help others if you are asked for an opinion. I hope you do better than me though. I usually start off keeping records, then about half way through a project I don't take the time needed for the record keeping and just keep on working. Oh well... Good luck to ya!
I don't know Greg, Sometimes I don't want to know how much $$$ I got in a project:D

We'll, yesterday I had fun with the Broadmoor. I took it down to the frame. All thats left on it are the tires and the steering gears. I took off: the grill assy, motor, hood, gas tank, bumper w/ pto pulleys, fire wall, battery tray, dash board, fender supports, seat, lift arm, pto linkage, shift rod, and finally the steering wheel. That think would not come of with a sludge hammer. We had to put some penetrating oil on it for it to come off. I compared the two white steering wheels together, and the one I took off is almost black instead of white. The other one looks brand new compared to this one. I can't wait to see this restored. I started sanding on the lift arm parts last night, and there were also several layers of paint on it. How do you put the pieces back together with out scratching the newly painted pieces? Also, do you paint the nuts and bolts or leave them gray? I also bought a 6H.P. Broadmoor Buyer Facts book off of eBay for $4.25. I have never heard of a Buyer Facts book b4, I can't wait to see what it is....

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by gregc
I don't know Greg, Sometimes I don't want to know how much $$$ I got in a project:D
Oh, I don't mind knowing for myself,...it's just the mrs. that doesn't always need to know. Sometimes ignorance is bliss....(she don't know and I ain't tellin'):D

Dave don't get the Wal Mart colorplace paint. It is horrible, little shine, no durability. If you have an Auto Zone or an auto parts store nearby you should be able to find some duplicolor chevrolet orange-red engine enamel. Its not too pricey and it is very good quality, very glossy and it resists heat. There are two shades of chevy orange and the one you need is DE1607. I think they are something like $3 per can. Hope this helps. Chris