Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Member, New Tractor

clyde

Hi All, I’m a new member and feel I already need to extend my thanks to everyone who participates in this site! I just got my 1st real tractor a few weeks ago (although my brother would disagree – he restores old farm tractors). I bought it knowing it wasn’t running but after a few searches thru the forums for guidance it’s doing great now. My tractor is a Landlord model 314. I was told it has been in the same family since new and looks like it was only used to plow snow. The plow has been patched a couple of time but I think it will do the job. Cosmetically it is in great shape and appears to have been well maintained. But, the last time they tried to start it, it wouldn’t, so they bought a snow blower. I found no spark. After spending a few hours trying to find the high spot to check the points setting it finally hit me – this is a one cylinder (DUH). The points are open most of the time! After that, things got better – I found the low spot and was able to see the points were opening and closing OK. I then did find the real problem; the primary side to the magneto coil was open. I pulled the engine and yanked the magneto. I couldn’t find a replacement on-hand locally so I decided to switch to a battery coil. I used parts from my local NAPA store. I went with an external resistor coil so I could use the full 12 volts for starting. It turns out it was overkill, it starts right off using the resistor. Other than maybe some tuning of the carb, it runs and drives great - except for a little play in the steering. Nothing I can see in the external linkage, I haven’t looked any further than that yet. Maybe it’s normal? The only other thing I’ve done is add headlights. This will be a working tractor, but I’m thinking I’ll work on restoring it somewhat (not enough so I don’t dare take it out – but perhaps shine ‘er up a little). And maybe add a mower deck. And maybe find another one for parts. Or two. Yikes, I think I’m addicted! Anyway, for now, I can’t wait for the next snow storm! Oh, one more thing. I live in the Hudson Valley area of NY, but travel to the Canton Ohio area every 2 to 3 months. (And occasionally to other parts of the country – but don’t always drive!). I’d be glad to transport anything that will fit in my Ranger if your needs coincide with one of my trips. Take care, Clyde [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/clyde/pic1.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/clyde/pic2.JPG[/img]

OK, what am I doing wrong? Tried to load the pictures but I don't see them. I think I followed the instructions ....let me check!

I edited your post to include the pictures. Somehow all the url was not in the proper place. Welcome to the club and that is not a bad looking rig you have there.

Good looking machine ! We need more old Simplicitys around here.. The AC's have us badly outnumbered.. And welcome to the club !

Sounds like you are getting your feet wet with these tractors. That sure is a nice fix for ignition. Keep your eyes and ears open and you will find a good deck for your unit. Welcome aboard.

quote:
Good looking machine ! We need more old Simplicitys around here.. The AC's have us badly outnumbered.. And welcome to the club !
And I/we like that way LOL:D All kidding aside welcome to the club and nice unit you got there. Slick fix with the coil too.

She'a fine rig there Clyde. 2 link chains to boot! I also have one of those ol girls myself. They don't make 'em like that anymore! If your serious about getting a deck a quick pm to thedaddycat or rokon might get you hooked up tuite suite!:) You'll also need a center pto too! Btw welcome to the club!

Welcome to the club!! Reed: Good possibility, thanks for the advertising.:D Clyde: I could probably come up with a decent deck. Shipping is killer on them though. Your also less than an hour away from member dlcentral.;) Another excellent source for parts from what I've seen of his classifieds. I'd be a little out of your way, up by Rochester on your way to Canton, but I know of a member in the northeast might be looking for a tractor brought back form Cleveland area.[:0][:0] Rob: theres your chance. I think Clyde is less than 3 hours from you. Maybe you could talk Kirk out of a deck cheap and take it down in exchange for getting your tractor home;):D

I was born in Canton, OH and still live in Stark County. I was going to ask you what brings you this way, but then I saw in your profile that you program ATM software, and I got my answer! Welcome to the club. You can always rely on these guys to give you helpful advice.

Nice looking machine, and you even got lights, a grill and the the two-link chains (as was noted). Nothing like starting at the top! I'm not familiar with the "314" model number, however. Where did that come from? I too am in the Hudson Valley, near Suffern, NY. Welcome to the club! Peter

Nice find Clyde! Very similar to my 2010 Landlord shown below. I did what I call a "quick resto" (not really quick though)on it. If you need some advice drop me a line. Good luck with it!

Nice looking machine ...I have a 65 Landlord that is going to get restored this winter... Nice job with the ignition coil addition!! jay

Welcome to the Club! That is a good tractor to start with.;)^ I also own a 1964 Simplicity Landlord tractor.:D Karl [url]www.simplicityva.com[/url] [img]http://www.simplicityva.com/Image083.JPG[/img]