Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
SMahler

Newbie Kohler Question 712S

SMahler
I have a 712S that I bought this past summer. Through the fall I dismantled it, sanded to bare metal, and repainted it in a decent fashion. Also rewired the lights and switches so everything works. Snow removal has been fun with the blade and blower. However, two things are bugging me (not much of a mechanic) 1) this thing is LOUD. It has an old can style muffler....will the appropriate (expensive) muffler make much of a difference? I am willing to spend the bucks, but only if it will really quiet it down. 2) I posted this when I bought it, but now I have more experience running the thing - my Kohler starts and runs really well, but always blows stinky exhaust - slightly blue in direct sunlight, and also smokes under load from the breather vent. I will never have time to fix this myself- how much do you think a basic rebuild will run me at an established small engine place? Should I take it to the Simp. dealer instead? 3) Last, how does the governor work on these kohlers...my throttle seems to be awfully sensitive - just a minute adjustment under no load causes the engine to scream, but once under load- RPMs drop way down and I am forced to goose the throttle. When towing a cart up and down hills this is very noticable - if I leave throttle alone at 3/4 it will range from luggin to screaming depending on the grade ??? Thanks for all your help - I am really enjoying this tractor and site!

jackcobb
The "stock" muffler will do a good job keeping it quiet. But I believe a new one is pricey. Good rebuilds using OEM parts can be around 600 - 700. Aftermarket parts can cut this considerably. Sounds like you gov. is set way to sensitive.

papamerkle
I rebuild my 14 horse kohler for $300. I did the teardown and rebuild. Check around local auto parts stores, they may do small motor rebuilds. Around here the local vocational schools do small motor rebuilds. I help local FFA chapter get ready with small motor trouble shooting contest. Check on eBay-they have kohler manuals for sale that can help with your kohler. Most times you can buy them for $10 to $15. It sounds like the spring under gov. needs moved down a hole. It should make it less sensitive. Check gov.linkage-it may too sloppy. This info came from a Kohler manual. My kohler had a bad throttle shaft and cause same problems. Can't speak much for mufflers. I like them LOUD:)^

Brent_Baumer
I doubt the governor spring is the problem. I have seen this same thing on kohlers more than once. The governor shaft has rotated clockwise too far. Wire or tie the governor arm full throttle. Loosen the nut at the base of the arm at the governor shaft, 7/16" nut I think. Turn the governor shaft all the way counter clockwise with a pair of needlenose and hold it there while tightening the nut back up. Untie the throttle. Governor should work fine again. It will make a hellava difference. This procedure is described with pics in the manual for your tractor, which is available for download for free at simplicitymfg.com. There is no good solution to the loudness problem. That is just how they are. Search for "muffler" or "loud" on here and read for hours. I have tried a few things that help but nothing works really well. Hope this helps.

Brent_Baumer
Oh - one more thing, after you do this you should also check your max speed and set the max speed stop at 3600 RPM. You will need a tach of some sort to do this. I use an old sears tach and dwell meter for 8 cylinder engines and multiply the reading by 8. Not super accurate but close. Your description of screaming is probably accurate and you're over-reving. Someone may have monkeyed with the max speed stop to compensate for the governor problem. If so, after the goveror adjustment you probably won't have high enough RPM's until you adjust it. This is also described in the manual. BRent

maxtorman1234
My three kohlers smoke from the breather all the time. I think it must be normal, because the oil level hardly changes. Also, my 416 was smoking when I got it, and it was blue too. I had to adjust the carb to stop it. It occasionally does it when I start though. I also have the problem when they are working and then they let up when I go down a hill or get to the top. I also have to give it more gas when going up a hill, but I have been adjusting the governor and it is slowly making a difference each time I change it. From my engines, the smoking from the breather is normal and the smoke while running was just an improper adjustment. THats just what I think,

Brent_Baumer
Papamerkle - Didn't mean to offend you if it did. You may very well be correct. Just saying, I rarely see the springs out of position and when they are, although it does make a difference, not so much to cause the problem described. It is my belief the problem is not the spring position, it is the shaft position, based on experience. Brent

papamerkle
Brent- No offence taken. I'm here to learn as well give advice. Learning is a ongoing process. It's just another tool in my toolbox. Like your suggestion, moving the spring has taken care of the problems I had. With Steve's tractor I am guessing the motor has some age on it and motor never been apart. Spring is weaker than it was new and gov.linkage will have some wear on it. On my kohler I have a ball joint on each end of the gov.linkage. Orginally My kohler had a ball joint on carb side only. That made a huge difference on how the motor runs. Next I put a new throttle shaft/bushings in carb-more improvement. I removed all slop in gov.linkage. I do like your suggestion with the dwell/tachometer. Will try it later today. Steve may have to do both of our's suggestions and maybe a few more. A good tune up couldn't hurt.
quote:
I have a 712S that I bought this past summer. Through the fall I dismantled it, sanded to bare metal, and repainted it in a decent fashion
Steve-How did motor run before painting? Did you paint motor? I know someone who painted their tractor and had gov. problems after paint job was done. He clean linkage and problem solve.

SMahler
I did not paint the motor, and it has been running like this since I bought it from the original owner. It has had exceptional care, the guy was an engineer. He disclosed the smoking breather when I bought it, and I could see the black soot on the hood from the exhaust. He did mention replacing/repairing the valves at one point, so I know at least the head has been off. I think I didnt notice the gov. issue because I mostly mowed with it, with a pretty constant load. It was the driving around this weekend over hills and such that brought it to my attention. Thank you for the pointers on the gov, I would also like to fool with the carb. I have owners and parts manual, is there any info in there about adjusting carb? Any pointers appreciated. I still have a few things to do to the tractor later this winter before spring, but it has been a worthy helper with the snow. Even though it is big money (for me) I am tempted to buy the correct muffler if it would help. My new Deere that I use for primary mowing has a Kohler single that sounds like a sewing machine, so I guess I am spoiled. Thanks again, and looking for pointers on the carb. Too rich?

maxtorman1234
I just have a cheap 5-6$ muffler and its pretty quiet. On ebay I saw a similar muffler to the one that is on my 416. It is pretty quiet and has a nice sound, and its only about 23$US.