Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor hitch question

gearhead

Hey guys I have a 66' Simp Landlord that I want to make a hitch for towing around my boat. The boat is pretty heave but its not too bad. Ive already pulled it with my tractor so i know it can hold the weight. The problem is my old hitch i had made broke the last time I was pulling the boat into the yard. Any you guys ever make a good heavy duty hitch. And if you have do you have any pics of it. I need some good ideas to make something that will last. :D

Here's a try at some pictures of a hitch I made to accommodate towing trailers requiring a ball hitch as well as the more conventional single pin style yard cart hitch. It seems to work well for everything that I need to use it for. It can be quickly removed by taking out the two pins rolling it back slightly and lifting it off. While it can be easily installed/removed I found that since I have mounted it (about 6 months ago) I haven't had to remove it once because of it's dual trailer hitch towing capabilities. Here's my attempt at the pictures.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas. Good Luck, Todd

Here`s one I made about a year ago. But only works on the rear of the tractor. Wonder if anybody would be interested in these? Ray

Todd, Ray, those are both nice hitches. I made a rather simple one that is just a piece of channel iron with a piece of angle welded on and a hole drilled in the angle for a pin or ball. It mounts on the sleeve hitch and can be raised or lowered as needed. I can even back up to a trailer, raise the ball up into the hitch and drive off. No getting off the tractor to hook up. I'll try to get pics tomorrow. Larry

Ray and Todd those are both great hitches. One question Ray how did you bend that iron like that. Im going to see if i can make one like that. Plus what I like is that you can take it out whenever you need it out of the way. Also is that 1/8 flat stock or is it 1/4. thanks

Dad made one out of a old frame assy.off a tiller and using the lift It also works good for hooking up to the trailer from the drivers seat.We used it out in the woods hauling out logs. We would hook the chain tight lift it up and off we would go. I do have problems with the wonderboy 700 with the 4200lbs camper it does like to pull wheelies when you take off.Lots of fun.RBT forever Bob

1/4 inch stock can be bent cold by using a vise to hold it. I have a blacksmiths vise I use. Just remember that the bends will be more sweeping. Allow room for the extra lenght of the actual bend. If you have a torch, use it. If not you can make a good looking piece of work using what you have. I don't have pictures, but I made a mound for a front tine roto tiller using this method, also, different brackets I needed. You can get your bend started by using a ball peen hammer and an anvil, or any heavy piece of metal you have, and laying the stock across the corner and strikeing with the hammer across the line of the bend. This will thin the stock slightly and it will bend at that point.

Gearhead, it is 1/4 inch flat stock and I used a vice and a torch. You could probably just use a vice but it is alot easier if you got a torch. Ray

I made this one out of an old Broadmoor plow hitch. I wanted to be able to use the rear lift. It works great. Elon [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/ballhitch.jpg[/img]

Oh I also know that RobB makes very nice hitches. Im not sure what he sells them for but Ive seen one and they look like a heavy duty hitch. Elon

Thanks for the compliments. Ray that's a nice hitch design. Those tight radius bends really look great. I wasn't too confident I could create bends like that so I ended up doing what you see above. If I ever get a torch I'll have to give that a try. If anyone has any additional details (pictures, etc.) on how they were able to bend those tight radius bends I would love to see them. Elon your hitch looks like it's real handy for hitching up trailers without getting off the tractor. Great idea. -Todd

;)Gearhead, Although both are great looking jobs, if your boat is large and pretty good tongue wait, you may want to go with Todd's design. The tube walls will serve as gussets to help carry the load. With Ray's you may need to box in the 2 ends of the angle. ;)And Elon's is just plain cool!!

Thanks guys, the hitch was just lying around begging to be used. So I thought to my self why not!lol It is nice to back up and hook up and drive away with out getting off. Elon

hey ehertzfeld do you have a hydro lift on that one. Cause if not i dont know how you could lift a loaded trailer without getting a hernia.:D I

Ever hear of a front counter weight? I never knew there were individual front and rear ball hitches, just the one like I got from Rob. That one's a reproduction of the OEM front/rear ball hitch that I believe is Kent's? I can't find the pics on my puter right off the bat, I know they're posted already somewhere..

quote:
Originally posted by gearhead
hey ehertzfeld do you have a hydro lift on that one. Cause if not i dont know how you could lift a loaded trailer without getting a hernia.:D I
I wish I had hydro!!!!! To be honest I havent try a loaded trailer yet.:D I really wanted it for my utility trailer. I park it in the back of the house and dont like to drive the truck around the grass. The true test will be in the spring when I get the boat out.??? Elon