Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7014 Shuttle band drum

iweld

An old man brought into the shop today a cast iron drum of sorts off of a 7014 shuttle trans. It looks like the band was adjusted way too tight, as the drum is worn nearly a 1/4" in diam. The thing is about 4-1/2" to 5" in diam. (I forgot to bring it home) The Problem: I don't feel comfortable welding it up and turning it for him, but he says a new one is 247 bucks.[:0] Where can I find a good used one? Would it be handier if I got the part number from him? Thanks.

Turn it flush, Sweat fit and spot weld a band of 1/4 flat stock around it.. Dress the outside and balance it somewhat ( it don't turn a lot of RPMs ) If thats not a real option, you might try asking a clutch/brake shop about making him a shorter band. That should work about as well.

I have a Shuttle drive transmission that is locked-up.Its on a A/C 712S.I just got the thing into the shop and am ready to pull the motor.Let me know for sure the part# your needing and we'll have the ol-boy back in buisness in know time.

The old part number is 173795 New part number is 174586 The price new is approximatly $220.00 If I had the drum, I would try turning it in a brake lathe since it is cast iron. There may be enough adjustment to just turn it and reinstall. It would not have to have a perfect surface to operate. He probably needs a new lining anyway which would take up room also. Marty's idea of shorting the band might work. I am no expert. JMO

quote:
Originally posted by Mack
Part# 173795 old/174586 new - Part name- Planetary carrier. Is this the correct part that you are looking for iweld?
I'm thinking it probably is. This one looks like it could hold some planetarys inside. It has one side on it with about a 2" hole and maybe six or eight 5/16" holes about the 2" hole. I'll try to get a pic up tommorrow so we can see if we're talking apples to apples.

Thanks Dale. That's the baby alright. I just don't see $200.00 + for this little casting. Mack , if this is what you have, and you're willing to part with it, what do you need for it?

I haven't received your e-mail Paul. I sent you one too. Did you get that? I wonder if this feature is out of order on the forum?