Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Steering.........Turning Radius.

johnerj

I have a 1967 Landlord, and a 1964 B-10. Both have the same problem? When turning left the turning radius is very large. When turning right the radius is nice and tight. I would say that a right hand turn is close to half the radius of the left turn. Is this a normal situation with these older FDT's? My RBT's have very equal turning radiuses. Is there an adjustment for this? Thanks John

The steering column leads to an assembly and two meshing gears. There is a V-shaped gear attached to another circular gear that is in the box frame, under the gas tank/battery. When the steering wheel and front tires are facing straight ahead, the V-shaped gear should have equal distance between its' ends. If it doesn't, you can disconnect the steering rod from the front axle and adjust the positions of the gears. Am I making sense?

My 64 Landlord turns the same for both left and right...It also is the shortest turning garden tractor I have..I love to mowe with it cause I can get right up close to trees ect.. You must have something out of wack on yours...dont know what though...

Sure makes sense to me. Needs to be the equal amount of teeth on the large gear on both sides of the V gear when the wheels are straight. Have to check it out. Wasn't sure if the drag link was out of wack a bit, because it seems to come real close to the frame when turning. Thanks, John

on my machine someone had shortened the connecting rod, the one from wheel to wheel. it would turn hard one way and bearly the other. i didnt realize how bad it drove till i measured and made the correct piece. dont be afraid to experiment with this. badcars

quote:
Originally posted by johnerj
Sure makes sense to me. Needs to be the equal amount of teeth on the large gear on both sides of the V gear when the wheels are straight.
I'd be surprised if the 1964 B-10 didn't have the round, cast-iron steering gear, not the V-shaped steel one... I know the 9HP Landlords had them, since I took one off and put it on my 2012 with loader...

Would the round gear be better to use? Kent, why did you change yours? I am using the 2012 as my primary work machine for snow blowing and tilling, and if the round one is better I will switch them out. I did notice on the Landlord the drag link rubs on the side of the frame when turning left. Maybe I just need to "tilt" the drag link a little more. I plan on investigating tonight, so will check back then. Thanks very much for all the suggestions and help....."AGAIN". John

John, the round gear is a slower steering setup---takes more turning of the steering wheel. When I tear my B-112 down to put the hydro lift in I plan on putting a round gear in it, if I can get the rust soaked outta it. Better control of the syearing then with the pie shaped one IMO. Think thats why Kent changed his also.. MPH

John, your 2012 should have a V-shaped gear. I have a B-12 (the Allis-Chalmers equivalent), and that's what I based my advice on. Whoops. It could be something else, there's plenty of things to adjust on the tractor. The AC brochure does say that the later B-10 and B-12 had a quicker steering ratio. Probably due to a switch from the round gear to the V-shaped one.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. The problem was the drag link adjustment with the Landlord, didn't mess with the B-10 yet. Probably for the steering wheel alignment as Frank stated, or to adjust out all the play from the bad uniballs on the ends of the drag link. After playing with this thing for a few hours it turns nice and sharp in both directions, although now the steering wheel is way off center and it has a large amount of play in it. Now next question...... How do I get the steering wheel straight? It is way off center, and I do need to replace the ends of the drag link, because the balls are in very bad shape from rubbing and bottoming out so bad. I am happy the turning radius is nice and tight in both directions now. I was thinking of pulling the steering shaft with the gear still attached and turning it straight and sliding it back in place. Would this work? BTW I did see the different type of gears from the B-10 to the Landlord.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
John, the round gear is a slower steering setup---takes more turning of the steering wheel. When I tear my B-112 down to put the hydro lift in I plan on putting a round gear in it, if I can get the rust soaked outta it. Better control of the syearing then with the pie shaped one IMO. Think thats why Kent changed his also.. MPH
Marty's right on... The round gear also requires less effort to turn the steering wheel -- which is what I wanted for the 2012 w/loader. After a few changes, I can now steer the tractor with a loaded bucket with one hand. I did these things: 1. Replaced original wide turf tires with narrow tri-ribs. 2. Added the thin roller bearings between the front spindles and the front axle. 3. Swapped out steering gear, shaft and steering sector (you must swap all three) from the older tractor with the lower gear ratio on the steering gear....

John, if you take the snapring off the bottom of the steering shaft you can pull it up to clear the gear, turn where you want and drop it back in on your landlord. MPH

Thanks Marty, I am going to go ahead and swap out all the steering parts as Kent indicated, so it should end up lining up. I already swaped the front tires and rims. I like the narrower ones from the B-10, just think the wheels on the Landlord 6-1/2'' wide, ride on top of the snow. It did make it a bit easier to steer with the thinner tires. Would like to go to AG's all the way around on the Landlord. Did not relize there is so many little differences in these 2 tractors such as the steering gear, and even found that the throttle/choke lever is backwards?? Hmmmm. The choke has off to the left on the B-10 and the Landlord the off is to the right. I am talking about the writing on the lever housing. The hood from the B-10 is even too wide for the Landlord. I have the same problem as you Marty, someone cut a notch out of the hood for the S/G bracket, guess the belt is a bit too long. What else might I find as I tinker around some more? John

John, Supposedly there's a difference in the front axle and spindles, according to the Allis B-10/B-12 sales literature at the link below (bottom of page) but I'm not sure what it is.
quote:
New, heavier front axle and spindles, and wider front wheels with 6:50 x 8 tires on the B-12.
http://www.simpletractors.com/models/b_series/1966_cat/b-10_%26_b-12.htm

Thanks Kent, think I will leave the Landlord the way it is and not swap out the parts. Haven't checked yet but looks like2012 should be built a little heavier than the Early B-10. OH BOY,think I am getting interested in another tractor.......B-12. John

I can turn shorter turning right with my 1920H then I can left, but it is not because of a mecanical problem. I put this rubber broom typed sheld on the front of the mower deck so that leafs and grass doesn't blow up when I am using my easy vac bagging system with it's own engine.I can take it off for side discharging but I just leave it on any way. Take Care Jason

Allis B12, Oh that won't stop me. The only thing that might is the financialy responsible BETTER half. LOL John