Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
BDSchmidt

KT17 II Oil Problem

BDSchmidt
Guys I hope someone will pass on some good news regarding the following situation. Tractor in question: Simplicity Sovereign 7117 with Kohler KT 17 Series II. It hasn't been started or run alot lately, just moving from one garage to another, putting snow blower on, moving it in and out of garage etc...not alot of time. Have noticed that it has been getting alittle more finicky about starting and when it does, vast plumes of white smoke out the muffler. Tonight I had it running for alittle while to warm up and I noticed the muffler dripping watery black fluid that looked like liquid graphite lubricant. Further investigation revealed the same fluid dripping from under the air cleaner. I removed the air cleaner and found alot of the fluid saturating the air cleaner and when I would increase the throttle, it looked like an oil geyser coming out the tube that leads to the crankcase breather. I shut it down and checked the oil on the dipstick and found it looked, felt and smelled the same as the geyser...like gas. I called my local master Kohler guy and he said it sounds like the breather is bad. I picked up and installed the parts and then drained approximately 4 1/2 pints of the black water looking material from the crankcase. My book says the oil capacity is 3 pints of oil for the crankcase. Now normally I always check the oil before I'm going out to do anything like mow, plow,etc. and had never noted a problem with oil level before, but tonight I didn't do that. I filled the crankcase with enough 30 weight oil to bring the level to the top full mark on the dipstick. The engine started right away, no smoke other than alittle from the stuff that had been dripping on the block...none noted from the muffler.THe question is,is my engine going to be ok? And would the failed breather result in all that gas going into the crankcase or is there something else I should be checking? Does a bad fuel pump result in the fuel getting into the crankcase and then the breather failed due to this? I don't really know how long this condition was going on and all though I can follow instructions/read a manual or book and repair things fairly well, I don't always know the mechanics/engineering of whats going on. Any comments would be appreciated...( especially ones that suggest my KT will be ok!) Brian

PatRarick
The breather will not allow gas into the crankcase. Chances are that the fuel pump diaphragm has a hole in it. That will allow fuel directly into the crankcase. Less likely, but possible, is a leaking float needle valve. The fuel could be slowly overflowing from the carburetor, into a cylinder and leaking past the rings into the crankcase. I don't believe there was anything wrong with your breather. The additional volume of gasoline/oil in the crankcase will blow out of the breather, just like you've experienced. As far as damage to your engine, it depends on how much gasoline was in the oil, and how long you ran the engine. Get the fuel leakage problem straightened out, fill with fresh oil, and listen. If you hear no abnormal noise, you should be OK. The only other way to find out for sure, is to tear down the engine and inspect it.

BDSchmidt
OK that sounds like a definite possibility. My KT 17 II service manual does not really go over removal of the fuel pump. Do you know of any resources that outline whats involved with this procedure?

dirtsaver
Brian the FIRST thing to do is install an inline shut-off valve in your fuel line. While you have the line cut go ahead and put a gas filter in also. Do this on every tractor you own and it will save you tons of problems down the road. Larry

PatRarick
Your service manual should cover the procedure. In any event, it's self explanatory after removing the air cleaner assembly. It's pretty close to the carburetor. Two hoses, one from the fuel tank and one to the carb. Remove the hoses and there are two bolts holding the fuel pump on. Remove the bolts, remove the fuel pump, clean the mounting surface of the engine and install the new pump and gasket. Hook up the hoses, reinstall the air cleaner and you're good to go. By the way, I agree with the use of 10W-30 oil for the winter. Pat Forgot to add that you may have to remove the fuel line fittings from the old fuel pump and install on the new pump.

PhanDad
Brian, You can download your engine's Kohler Service manual for free at: http://www.kohlerengines.com/service_manuals.html It has info about testing the fuel pump and installation info. Maybe it'll help you some. It's strange how Kohler will let you have the repair manuals for free, but not parts list info. The exact opposite of B&S.

BDSchmidt
THanks Guys! 10-30 is what I'll use. I already have the shut off valves and filters in the lines of my tractors. I'll get it off this afternoon and proceed from there...new or rebuild kit. THanks for your help. The " master" Kohler guy didn't have an answer for the oil being like it was. Happy New Year! Brian

Dutch
Regardless of what oil is used or presence of a fuel shut off valve, it's a good idea to check the level and "feel" the oil every time an engine is started and every time fuel is added. If oil level increases, or doesn't feel slippery, there is a problem that should be corrected immediately.

BDSchmidt
All seems well again!. I ended up putting in a new fuel pump...they told me there wasn't a rebuild kit. She runs good and sounds good and no more smoke. When I bought the pump the guy said that he sees this problem often, ( a different guy than the first). Dutch, I will definitely take your advice...I think I lucked out this time. I just paid my dues so that I can continue to reap the benefits of this great club. THanks to all! Brian

wilm169
I had a new [20 hours] 20 hp camand kohler that dumped gas in the oil and it was the fuel pump I had ran for about 1 hr before I caught it. Made sure kohler knew it in case the engine went bad, have had no problem with it in three years. LUCKY I guess.