Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

snowblower rebuild (pictures&question)

BigOrange

I got this 990563 (36 inch for the landlord) snowthrower and proceeded to rebuild it.

Now that I got it sanblasted and ready to go back together these bearings have me confounded. I understand the bearings are concentric (I think)but the far end of the auger shaft is one diameterand the drive end is tapered and the taper area is smaller than the bearing.

The shaft seems off balance because of the taper shaft. Anybody have some hints?

I've never had that model apart but I'd almost bet that shaft is really worn out and not supposed to be tapered. I hope somebody else has better news for you than that.

The area where the bearing goes is worn badly. It was run with a bad bearing for a long time. The shaft should be the same size as where the drive gear goes. he bearing should be a snug fit and locked with the eccentric locking collar. You have two soultions, replace the auger or have the shaft built up with weld and turned to size.

The shaft has been destroyed from spinning in the bearing. Either the bearing was not locked, or it was siezed. The shaft should be the same diameter all along it's length. A machine shop should be able to fix you up. Either replace the shaft or build up the worn area and turn it down. The shop should be able to tell you what the cheapest route is, and one fix is just as good as the other. I've had to replace the shaft on a snowblower before. It is a stubshaft, 10" to 12" long. It is welded to two centering washers, one on the outside end of the tube and one further in the tube. The washers are welded to the tube. If you have the shaft replaced rather than repaired, remove both shafts (one on each end), and run one long shaft all the way through. The additional cost will be minimal, and it is MUCH easier to insure that everything is properly lined up. Pat

I have a parts blower I can pull the auger from if you need it. Actually I have a few of too many of them, according to my better half. Is 8 blowers(including parts ones) too many?

Gee whiz, Daddycat...you wouldn't happen to have a similarly "detached" auger for a 42-inch blower just laying about waiting to be used by a forlorn, pitiful, nearly snowed-in soul, now would ya?:D:D?

I'll see what I can come up with, but the only 42" blower I have right now is the one I'm rebuilding.

Thanks Daddycat...and Dave, I just finished the drive as much as possible with the blade, but considering the snow I've already got about three or four inches on the end where I started...to heck with it, I'm goin' to town for a wee dram of "antifreeze" and supper. Looks like the old blower is gonna take some "Rube Goldberg" work to get functional without a massive influx of parts. Nothing like a challenge when it's bloody cold and snowin to beat heck}:).

John, as a temporary fix you could try some of that two part epoxy putty. I've used it before and it works great. I fixed a cracked thermostat housing on my truck with it. It's about $3.50 a tube, says it's good for shaft build up and it hardens in about an hour.