Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
FLRyder

Winter project almost done

FLRyder
I know it's foreign to most of you, but my orange :D CFC20L is all I've got for a tractor:). Since it is pretty much useless in winter, I took apart all the pulleys, tensioners, idlers, and pivot points(and there are a slew of them). A lot of the linkages for the steering levers and engaging the belts have small pins and holes that were pretty sloppy after years of full-time commerical use. So I hacked off the bar ends with the wowed-out holes, welded on some new tabs, and drilled out new holes where they belong. A little grinding and painting, and they're good as new. As for the worn pins that are welded onto other bars, I ground and punched them out, and welded new hacked-off bolts where they were needed. The rear swivel wheel was leaking down every few weeks, so I put a tube in that. The gas tank was nasty looking, and looked like it once caught fire[:0]. It's a big heavy job bolted to the side of the machine, painted to match the rig. I took it off, scraped and sanded it down, and painted it Simplicity deep orange to match. Looks pretty decent. The factory spray cans are very good, and spray a nice wide fan pattern. Some cheap rattle cans are tough to lay on decent, even patterns. The only thing left on my list is to replace the oil in the two hydros with some heavier synthetic stuff, as it gets a bit weak on the hills when hot. I'm looking for a 2nd unit(a tractor) to perform chores other than mowing and fertilizing. It doesn't have to be pretty, just fixable and 'fordable.

FLRyder
Now that spring is really here in New England, I finished the 20CFC project. I changed the hydro oil with Amzoil 30wt synthetic tractor oil. It took forever to bleed each hydro- the opening in the reservoir cups is tiny. I filled them in January and they never went down. So I slow-idled the unit and eased the levers foward and back a tiny bit to get it to suck in. Once I began seeing bubbles, I knew it was getting where it needed to be. I still need to do some fine adjustments to the levers so it tracks straight at full tilt. The rig is running so well, I treated it to some touch-up paint and wax job.

lndscpr
I like the CFC20l. Do you just cut your yard with it? How old is it? What are the specs? I cut commercially and could use something like that. Do you have a bagger set up for it. I currently use 2 48 inch walk behinds. One has a proslide. Could use a machine like that for the bigger lawns. John

FLRyder
I use it to cut my yard, and pull a lightweight broadcast. 20CFCs are not made anymore but I think it's a '95, has a 20hp Magnum, 54" 3 blade(mulching) deck, but does not have a bagger. Simp bought out Ferris which make commercial ZTRs with full suspensions- they fly!