Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gravely Opinions (pictures added)

rokon2813

A gentleman stopped by here the other day after being told I buy and sell used stuff. I was not interested but I told him I'd throw it out there for you guys. Its a Gravely Commercial Rider. 12 hp Onan engine. Belly Mount mower deck Front mount bush hog deck front snow / dirt plow front snow blower. He said it ran fine till about 2 years ago when he put it away because the clutches needed to be adjusted. He didnt know how and there are no local dealers around. He's asking $600, I think he'll take $500 I've only seen it in passing and it looks decent at 30 mph. Any Opinions or interest? I'll check into it or get a phone number for anyone who wants. Dan

Probly too far Al. Western New York but if you want I'll stop by there and get a model number and a few pictures.

Dan, Thanks, but I am afraid you are right. If it was a couple or 300 miles I might be more interested. I am looking for a Gravely to repower and right now my priority is to find a 318 and 420 Deere needing a transfusion. Thanks again, and Happy New Year. Al Eden

For those interested its a 430 commercial. He wasnt home but I left my number on the door for him to call me with his name and number. As soon as I get it I'll put it out to those who asked. Sorry the pics are fuzzy. Guess my camera needs new batteries again. If I'd known I woulda changed them before I left.

Dan, I looked a couple over once long ago, a local dealer had them. They appeared to be a tough built machine. But I didn't care for the rear engine or it being an Onan. Those that I have talked to seem to be happy with them and no complaints.

Hi, They are very tough tractors and they get around on hills very well. I am looking for one to repower, there aren't milions out there, but the people that have them love them, and since they have the attachments and can't buy a new tractor like it, need to be able to continue to use them. The engines are a problem, Onan, Briggs and Kohler. No new ones. We have a kit started for them. I had a person about 400 miles from me that was bringing 2 for me to repower. I have a large portion of the kit work done and an engine and adaptor setting here. He then had a change of circumstances and put his property up for sale. We are looking for someone that has a tractor, or buying a tractor to further develope the kit. We will use an 18 command to replace the 326 series Briggs, the K, KT and M series Kohler and the Onans. If somone has one and wants to repower it, we would make a special deal on it, also on a 318 or 420 Deere. It would not be Quick, because we would need it until it passes ALL of Kohlers temp requirements. Thanks, Al Eden

Dan, Looks like a '68-'70 vintage 430. The last ones ('71) made were an orange/red instead of yellow. Most had a Kohler K301, but maybe 10% were built with the Onan. The Onan doesn't last as long, and the set-up which reduces compression for starting ease often goes kaput, with the result being a worn-out starter in short order. More of a concern is the ignition system...it's a completely contained module in that funny rectangular box on the left side of the engine...good luck finding one, 'cause they aren't available...solution?...cobble your own system or get rid of the Onan. Basically, these are great machines, and if Al puts together a re-engine package it will be a winner. The original K301 is a better engine on the 430 than the Onan M1847A (what you have), but it won't take just any K301...it has to be a Gravely/Kohler K301 from a couple specific riders or two-wheelers. Beyond that, if it runs good and has all those implements that's likely a decent price....even better at $400-$500. You live back in "Gravely Country," so the stuff would sell without difficulty. The implements are extremely well-built, but pricey. Considering all the stuff with it I would assme the tractor is equipped with both the forward and rear drive-shaft kits, another plus.

Dan, As Kent has said in the past they are the Cadillac of small tractors. I have an 816 (16hp onan twin) that looks exactly like that one,. I only have a 48" mower. I have heard that mine is worth $400-500 with just the tractor/mower. I'd say it was a deal. John

It sounds ok, THeres one here in Ontario with a cab and blade they want $900 for. THey look pretty well built, and this one has a Kohler.

While they look similar, they are quite different (the 400 and 800 series riders). Some pros and cons: 400 series: Pro: -extremly rugged; cast axles; heavy frame; planetary tranny; shaft-driven pto; excellent traction/weight ratio. -planetary transmission somewhat simpler than 800s. -has seperate steering brakes on each rear wheel as standard equipment. -doesn't have the same troublesome clutch set-up as the 800s Con: -Onan models (single cylinder versions anyway) prove to be problematic. -Parts are sometimes difficult to come by. 800 series: Pro: -extremely rugged; cast axle; heavy frame; planetary tranny; shaft-driven pto; excellent traction/weight ratio. -Parts are reasonably easy to come by...many are interchangeable with later tractors (G models, etc.) -Four speed with a high-low (all planetary gears) for 8 total forward speeds, compared to only four for the 400 series. -many implements interchange with other machines, both two and four-wheel (as do the 400 series to a certain degree). Con: -clutches are occasionally troublesome. -rear steering brakes not standard. All in all, I like the 400 series, but the 800 series would likely be a better machine for most people. These babies are all amazing machines regardless. If you could find a kohler to fit for a replacement engine I wouldn't hesitate to grab an Onan-powered 430. I have links for several folks who deal with old Gravely rider stuff and parts back east if anyone needs 'em as well.

The gravely tractors were built about 20 miles from me before they were bought out and moved to WI. Tuff tractores. My grandpa has 2 and mowes the local cemetary for the past I can't remember years. I think I still have an extra rearend for one out in my shead now. As for Al's engines, I don't know what all the diff. are but one of grandpa's came with a magnum 18 Twin on it. I know this is'nt factory but it is still on it.

I was riding my bike thru Lebanan, VA and saw a bit of orange in front of of an old building. Rear engine Gravely like you guys are talking about. It was not in the best of shape and the man was asking 400 for the tractor and 42 in. deck.