Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oil Flow Chart and other industry test

DaleC

I went looking and found this. Notice the high performer. I think this validates Marty's test.

quote:
The High Temperature/High Shear Test measures a lubricant’s viscosity under severe high temperature and shear conditions that resemble highly-loaded journal bearings in fired internal combustion engines. In order to prevent bearing wear, it is important for a lubricant to maintain its protective viscosity under severe operating conditions. The minimum High Temperature/High Shear viscosity for a 30 weight oil is 2.9 cP.

quote:
The Four Ball Wear Test determines the wear protection properties of a lubricant. Three metal balls are clamped together and covered with the test lubricant, while a rotating fourth ball is pressed against them in sliding contact. This contact typically produces a wear scar, which is measured and recorded. The smaller the average wear scar, the better the wear protection provided by the lubricant. As shown in the graph, AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-30 Motor Oil produced the smallest wear scar of the tested lubricants.

quote:
The NOACK Volatility Test determines the evaporation loss of lubricants in high temperature service.The more motor oils vaporize, the thicker and heavier they become, contributing to poor circulation, reduced fuel economy and increased oil consumption, wear and emissions. A maximum of 15 percent evaporation loss is allowable to meet API SL and ILSAC GF-3 specifications.

quote:
Total Base Number (TBN) is the measurement of a lubricant’s reserve alkalinity, which aids in the control of acids formed during the combustion process. The higher a motor oil’s TBN, the more effective it is in suspending wear-causing contaminants and reducing the corrosive effects of acids over an extended period of time.

quote:
The Thin-Film Oxygen Uptake Test evaluates the oxidation stability of lubricating oils. A mixture of the test oil and chemistries found in gasoline engine operation (oxidized/nitrated fuel, soluble metals and distilled water) are placed in a test vessel, which is pressurized with oxygen and placed in a heated bath. Anti-oxidant breakdown is evident when the oxygen pressure in the vessel rapidly decreases. At this point, the induction time (break point) of the oil is recorded.

:DThanks Dale, And you didn't have to go out in -40 to get it. But to my burnt out brain, I understand Marty's test better. What is the meaning of the cold cranking viscosity chart? What do the 0-1000# mean? And I guess it is safe to assume(I hate that) that this came from the AMSOIL Co.

So Amsol is a private label, individual dealer sold product. I did not know that. No wonder I never hear about it around here. Are the test propaganda or do you think they are legit.?

I have lots of experience with racing engines and can tell you--Amsoil, as quirky as there dealer setup is, is an exceedingly good product------