Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord speedster

MPH

Got tired of waitting for my new tires to try out the landlord so I put a valve stem in some rottted old 6inch tires and tried it out in the new snow yesterday. Man, I felt like I went to the races. That thing flies compared to the 725. Figured out it has a 6 in pulley on the tranny instead of an 8 like my 725. Book say a B-1 and B-10 both do 6mph in 3rd, My question is, What pulley is considered Standard? The 6 inch tirs are useless in the snow, can't even follow the cure of the driveway but that hydro lift sure is quick. MPH Oh, points must be at at .020 guys. She run fine in the shop, but a little load and wide open she was cutting out, like starving for gas so I put in new plug and checked the points which I thought I had set at .020 but only had .018. Runs great now.

HI, Simplicity used to sell an optional high speed pulley for the old Landlords. I don't remember the dimentions, but it made low and second better mowinig gears. Al Eden

I posed a question to a club member once on a very similar subject... the yoeman it has two speeds high and low why couldnt the pulley be changed out to make low a better mowing gear.its painfully slow...? since high speed is to fast already what would the diff be anyhow other than maybe needing a roll cage for high gear...?

My landlord has a 6.5 or 7" on the tranny and i think it is slow in 3rd gear. I plan to get a smaller grear for the trany befor the spring. I just dont know how much smaller to get 4 or 5"???. My planed aplication is to mow in first gear in deep or wet heavy grass. And second move right along, mowing speed. And third is road gear, I Mow several big yards around my house and plan to drive my tractor to the yard, about six or seven block away. As it is now i feel i just might be able to mow in 3rd. I know when i get a smaller pully i will not be able to till or snow blow with that speed. But i dont have those atachments yet... I have seen a pic on someones post of a big10 i thinks that had a much smaller pully the mine. One other question, which is better to get a smaller belt or a biger idler when I resize the tanny pully? All things that make a guy go HMMMMMMMM

If you go with a smaller pulley, go to a smaller belt. The idler won't make up enough difference. Do some searches on the forum on belts and pulleys and you will find the math to tell you the size belt. I went to a larger 8" pulley and I now mow in third gear which is faster than 2nd used to be. I do not like the transport speed though. Going smaller will work, but you will loose that really slow speed that I, at least, find that I sometimes need. 3.14 x diameter = the circumference in inches. (3.14 x 6" = 18.84 inches) 3.14 x 5" = 15.70 You would need a belt that is 3 inches shorter to run a 5 inch pulley instead of a 6 inch pulley. Your belt size for a B series tractor would go from 42 with the six inch pulley to 39 inches with the smaller 5" pulley.