Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6216 Transmission problem

TerryJW

Hi! Having a problem with the gear shifter. The tractor will shift into first and third gear but will not go into second gear. The tractor will run in first and third gear. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know of any repair shops near Shenandoah, Pa. that coulkd fix this tractor if I can't do it myself. Thank you

Does it shift into revers? When you pull the lever up to shift into gear do you "feel" the click of the shifter fork engaging? Does the gears grind when trying to shift into 2nd, or does the lever just come to a hard stop? Could be a bad shifter fork half. Could be a bad key on the shaft. Could be chipped or badly worn teeth on 2nd gear. Could even be as simple as the shift lever being to loose, or having too much play. Make sure the shift lever is not hitting the plastic shroud that is around it preventing it from going all the way into gear. John

The problem seems to indicate the shaft and fork assembly that moves the 2nd and third gear assy. into second gear needs repaired. 2nd and 3rd gear are on the same shaft. Shifting takes place by the shifter moving a fork along a grooved shaft which is held in each groove by a ball bearing and spring,the bearing rests in the groove which holds each shift position as the fork moves the gears. The shaft could need lubricant or the bearings that go in the detents could be worn. If you go to the simplicity factory site and punch in your I.D. number which is 1691035 you can view .pdf files of your 6216 transmission. If it was me I would probably drain the tranny and disassemble to see whats up. The tractor was made in the mid 80's and could probably use a good cleanup and relubrication job.The 6216 takes ATF fluid.