Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Steering Shaft Bushing

Bunky

The steering bushing in my B112 went bad It had fell through a couple of years ago and I put it back in place and put a hose Clamp on it... From what I can tell the part number is 157077 .. I thought about putting a Collar on the Shaft to hold it in plachas anyone Done this??????

Hi, Usually I polish the steering shaft and lube it. I then put some black silicone sealent around the outside and "glue" it in the housing. Usually works. If the inside slips free they usually don't give that much trouble. Al Eden

I have done a couple of different repairs to the B-110 and newer series, depending on the condition of the hole in the dash. I have "glued" the bushings in with silicone, as Al explained. If the hole is slightly wallowed or the snap ring below the bushing will no longer stay in place (allowing the bushing to slide down), I install a second collar on the steering shaft plus a 3/4" I.D. machine washer, just below the bushing where the snap ring was. Wrap electrical tape around the bushing till it fits snug in the hole, and silicone the "enlarged" bushing in place. If the hole in the dash is really wallowed out, or oblong, I cut the hole large enough so the dash will accept a standard 3/4" ball bearing with a 3 hole flangette mounting. This last method is a solid, permanent repair. I prefer to call it an improvement, rather than a repair. Pat