Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wire to spark plug

Boney

I would like to replace the wire that connects to the spark plug on a 725 is it difficult to do ? The wire goes into the motor, hence i dont know what is going on at the other end of the wire. This spring i would like to run all new wires. thnx

herman Under the blower housing you will find the armature this is where the other end of the wire goes. I did this very thing once, as i chopped through a plug wire by accident once [:0] What i did was get a coil wire off a junk armature by carefully chipping off the eppoxy holding it in. Then on the good coil i removed the eppoxy carefully with pics ect. After i got the coil cleaned out i inserted the "new" wire, the contact point for the center electrode is a snall spike on the armature. Just make sure the new wire hits this spike, after it is in place get some 5 min eppoxy and pack it in around the newly inserted wire and that should do it. Just dont go too crazy with the eppoxy if it gets under the wire it will block contact. Hope this helps. PS this was on a 12hp briggs i assume you are refering to a briggs coil although the tecumseh are prob similar. good luck john :D

One point to add -- you must use a spark plug wire that really has wire in it, not the graphite-core automotive wires designed to suppress the static that real wires cause on your radio....