Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Any Tricks Known?

MPH

Dug the dash of a B-10 outta the snow yesterday looking for the 5/16 hood bolt snap in nuts, already gone, but notice it still has the choke lever knob, which is missing on my Landlord. Anyone have any tricks for removing these in a reuseable fashion? Haven't brought it in yet as the shop is crowded with 4 tractors and my sons New Mexico ready car. MPH

They're actually a "slip-on" fit, Marty. Squirting some type of lubricant (WD-40, etc.) around the slot in the knob where the lever goes in might help. I've successfully pulled them off with vice grips, though you have to be careful not to damage the knob.

I have pulled knobs off levers by using wire cutters to clamp over and into the lever and prying gently against the back side of the knob. Warming the whole thing with a hair dryer wouldn't hurt either GregB

donno how it works, but out here we got a tv minister near cinna,oh some of the boys claim to have good luck with. Could you put a pic up of snap thingies and choker dealie-sometimes we used chick hair dryers to heat plastic/bakelite items up for removal.

Never thought of some lub, Thanks Kent. Closest thing I have to a hair drier is my cutting torch. Hmm, might make me bald. MPH

Marty, Next trip to town, look for one of the Black & Decker paint stripping guns, they are pretty cheap now and put out higher heat than a hair dryer.

I never got one off in one piece yet. But try boiling water, if you don't have a hair dryer. MPH in your area you may need to let it get to room temp first, or should I say 60-70*. John

You made me think John, if I had a hair drier, with the metal at -30, some heat on the knob might work real good. Might be cause for another tool investment because I seldom win the battle of getting these snap on things off fit to reuse. MPH

Take a pair of vice grips and clap them around the shaft so that the will move free but not come off.. Take your time and TAP tap tap till it turns loose. (Wrap the pliers in duct tape) If that don't get you results in a bit, place a block of wood behind the pliers and pry slow and steady.. Pooring hot water as said by someone else will help matters... If worse does come to worse, you can build it back up with JB weld ( also makes a forever kinda fix on cracked steering wheels etc. Great stuff IMO... Good luck !

hey andy, nice idea on the hair dryer, but tell joe, I have one of them b and d paint stripper guns too... there's a reason they call it a paint stripper, and it's not cause there's some girlie inside ready to take her clothes off...be real careful! you might have more luck w/one of joe's ol'torches...

Andy ya'll keep that TV ministeer up there now boy!! We'uns has got enuff of our own riffraff here in Kaintuck to wurry with without no yankee stock movin in! Course he's prolly got his hands full with Margie Schott and them Bengal footballers anyway. Shiners Furever!! Larry