Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
bigcountry

Lessons Learned

bigcountry
I went riding this morning to look around to see what was for sale out and around my area. I saw a few nice ones sitting behind a shop, but they were all owned by someone. I went to a Massey Ferguson dealer who also happens to be a Simplicity dealer, and they had just moved to a new location, and had thrown away every garden tractor they had. They also said they had 3 Simplicity 0-turn mowers and a trailer stolen this week. They pointed me to a shop about 10 miles away, and I went down to check it out. I talked to the old man and he took me around back and showed me all the ones he could get rid of. They were mostly Craftsmans and Whites and a few Murrays and MTD's. I did see a Power Pro that had a 18hp Briggs Horizontally opposed twin. He said he'd take $50 for it, I liked it, gave it to him, and brought it home. Changed plugs, put some Marvel in the cylinders, and tried it. Nothing. Feels like the right side intake valve is stuck, broken, broken spring or bent. I asked the man if anything was wrong with it, and he said, you shouldn't have much trouble with it.

RedbarnRick
If these things sit outside for extended lengths of time without oil squirted in the cylinder or being started on occasion you coul have a stuck valve you should still get a pop within one of the cylinders though. How is the spark to the plugs? If the flywheel gets rusty there will be a problem with the magneto, easily cleaned with emery cloth while spinning the motor over.

bigcountry
The new plugs are getting great spark. I put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the top of the cylinders and tried again. I'm gonna pull the head tomorrow and see if I can give it a straight shot of oil and work with the starter to see if I can get it working or determine whether the valve is bent or broken.