Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
dorise

Price needed for two

dorise
Would any one have a price range for a fairly beat up Simplicity walk behind w/5.75 hp engine? I've not seen it yet so I need a little something to barter with. I think there are 2 attachments.If price is right is this thing a restorers find? Engine does run. Also would all B/S 10 hp w/starter/generator,older model be a #243431. Price $125, a fair price?I don't know where to get quick answers but here.

dirtsaver
Doris there is a Simplicity walker with full complement of tools and a 10hp Briggs on e-bay with a start bid of $100 and no further bids. I'm not sure what one with the smaller Briggs is worth but you can use this for comparision. Re: the 243431, I think all the earlier 10hp were 243xx. The last three digits signified various changes like gear start,starter/gen, special options, etc. As to the value,if I find one that has the Starter/gen and will start and run without smoke,rattles or other obvious problems for $125 it will be on one of my B-10's.

ka9bxg
They never came with a 5.75 hp engine The W came with a 7 hp and the V came with a 5 hp I have paid from free to $150 for them but the attachments are the most expensive part.Snow blowers are hard to come by along with the saw and the trailer.If it has the trailer and blower it is worth it but the cultivators are as comman as can be.I am looking for a 5.75 for my wonderboy 575.Good luck.Bob

maxtorman1234
quote:
a cast iron short block is 800 bucks
[:0]Its really that much? For that price, id just get a new engine. Ive never had good luck with briggs. Are they good engines when theyre running? I have alot of small briggs but they all have problems, most of them have bad carbs.

DaleC
Briggs, Kohler debate is like the Chevy, Ford debate. They are different, yet the same. Reliablity depends on who you talk to. My experience is that a Kohler blows up and a Briggs wears out. I have had lots of briggs and as for the cast iron, I have two 35+ tractors with briggs, all original, and have worked them both hard and one long with no service problems except general maintaince items. I love the torquey old motors.

thedaddycat
Just a tid bit here, the walking tractors technically never had a snow blower available. Simplicity called it a "Rotary Snow Plow"....... I thought that was interesting, picked up on it while looking through some old literature.