Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

725 ?

eric_3212h

I have a complete 725 frame and deck. Been looking for motor but have not had much luck. I found a 10hp Briggs but did not know if this would fit under the hood. Does anyone know which Briggs would fit in a 725 and not effect opening and closing hood? Or does anyone have any motors that would fit? Wouldn't mind getting one that needs overhaul long as all parts are there and no crank lock. thanks, Eric

Eric I think one of the Briggs 243431 10hp mills with S/G will work fine. One thing to be wary for... make sure the oil fill is in the pan and not the block. I have an early B-10 someone switched from a 9hp to a 10hp that had the fill/dipstick tube in the block and they had to cut the grill support to clear the tube...NASTY...ouch!! All in all, the other things you need to watch are the "foot print"(motormount pattern), and the deck height(sparkplug clearance)but I think they will be ok. Larry

I bought a wonderboy 700 that had the new style 8 hp they had to chop the hood for the starter generator on one side and had to peel back some steel on the other.To bad you live so far away as I do have a block that needs some work but is useable.Needs new piston and rod but bore is good.I will be going down to Dayton in May and could bring it along then.Bob

There's the remains of a 725 down the road from me,that has an complete original looking engine in it.Unfortunately,haven't been able to determine ownership.

If you do a search there is a guy on the site named rodh and he did not have to cut anything. He extended the uprights on the front of the tractor to make clearance for a 10hp motor. There are picture of the tractor somewhere on site. John H

The 725/B-1 used a Briggs Model 19 engine. You can make the bigger engines fit but you'll need to cut out the bottom of the frame pan for clearance for the flywheel shroud. I have posted pics of the differences, you need to do a search to find that post....

You can mount the 243431 engine without modifying the hood if you use a lower mounting for the S/G. The high mount will hit the hood. I am currently running a 14Hp Kohler in my 61 Wards (same as a 700), but made adapter plates and, as John said, I raised the entire hood about three inches. Also moved the bottom of the grille forward. Don't cut up your sheetmetal, just raise it up.

Thanks all for the info. Have sent a inquiry as to moter model # to the one 10 hp i found. No 8hp to be found anywhere near here. He wants $200 for it with Delco starter, carb, and mountings. This seems a fair price with the attatchments included, but motor will most likely need overhaul. To bad most people in the club live so far away from N.E. Tennessee. There doesn't seem to be very much intrest here in Simplicity/AC as the green tractors that everyone here has. Thanks again Eric

Eric, I have a 23 9hp out of an early B-10. No starter/gen. but a mostly complete engine. Would need a rebuild but it's in decent shape.

Eric, I live in Morristown, TN. Don't have any spare engines but do have a 700, 725, B-1, 7013S, and a new Sovereign. I also have a cardboard template for the hole in the frame so a larger engine can be put into a 700, 725, or B-1 that Daddycat sent me. Let me know if I can help or you want to see an original pristine 725. Cheers,