Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Uh-oh

stumpy

Hmmmm...arrived home yesterday to several inches of fresh snow...again. But what the heck, it's not a problem with the blower...even the prospect of a few more months of continued accumulation isn't bothersome, unlike dealing with the stuff using a blade, 'cause ya just run out of places to put it. I managed to get the most important third of the job done when "bang" goes the blower. Didn't hit anything either...the auger shaft and/or bearing just decided to have a catastrophic failure. Soooo...on goes the HD front blade...which at least allowed me to get enough of the stuff moved to escape if need be...won't help if I need to get to the stock-trailer though :D. Hard to tell, but we have just shy of four feet accumulation at this point. Durn, but that blower was sure nice!

Too bad they're calling for sub-zero temps (even without the wind chill) and continued snow through the next few days...arrrgggh! At least I have a couple of days to hang around and deal with things. Time to tear into the blower and see what it will require for resurrection, if possible, cause otherwise I might be stuck until spring thaw... Anybody within a couple of hundred miles of Tampico, Washington have an extra 42" blower handy? ha ha ha

Hi Is your blower belt driven or is it Pto driven? Mine is a Pto driven snowblower and I had a simular problem, except it did not take long to fix. One of the drive chains for the auger snaped and the front auger stopped turning, meanwhile the Pto was still running and the chain went flying evey where, lucky I shut the PTO off before any more damage was done. That really scared me. A few days after the chain was fixed the PTO hooked up to the snowblower came loose and fell off of the blower at same time the other end was still hooked up to the tractor, and was still turning around real fast, the engine was shacking badly on my 1920H and that's when I knew the PTO came off. I quickly shut off the PTO and fixed the PTO shaft before contiueing on my way. Boy did that ever scare me, now evey time I go to blow snow I make sure the Shaft is tighed properly on the snow blower and the tractor. Good luck with your snow blower, and hopefully you can use again this year, and hopfully the problem isn't to serious. You have a lot of snow, where I live I might as well put the blower away since I have no snow where I live. Take care Jason

Jason, Geez...that doesn't sound like much fun. I've had pto problems with full-sized equipment and it can be enough to give ya ongoing nightmares :). I have a B-112 with a 42-inch single-belt/single stage Simplicity blower on the front (or did have, I should say;)). The real bummer is, after going through a couple of belts earlier this season I'd finally tweaked things to the point where everything was juuuuust right...in fact, the current NAPA green belt had lasted through at least six hours of heavy-load ops, and didn't show any wear....didn't even go bust during the blower's rather abrupt cessation of operation. So life goes. Time to go make a few passes with the front blade and then get back to tinkering on the blower (I'm remebering some linguistic twists I haven't used in quite some time...an added benefit?).

Bum luck there Bob. Hopefully its just the bearing with no shaft damage. Have a 36 inch with one bearing outta I should get fixed for when this one gives up the battle. Good luck.. MPH

Going to be a bummer useing the blade after having the blower.I came across a blower and have'nt had enough snow in 2 years to use it yet.

i just charged the battery in my big ten and played with the carb some to get it running and put a new belt on blower.changed oil in my deutz 1918 and gave it a tune up.so know i got a tractor with plow and tractor with blower.NOW WHERES THE SNOW.i should go down back and blow the water puddles around.all we get is rain.

Snow.....what is that. All we have up here in Fenwick,Ontario,Canada is mud and grass. They are calling for snow on Sunday and next week up here.:Dcan't wait to play in the snow with my tractors.;):D^ [url]www.simplicityva.com[/url] Karl

Me either Karl:D We too have mud and grass, but its supposed to be -20C by late next week from what i remember. Hope we get some snow:D

Hope you all have enjoyed your nice weather. Was 60 here in northern Indiana Friday. Saturday wasn't bad either high forties. The forcast however is snow/rain, dropping temps and possibly back to normal January weather. I've had the front blade on the 7010 for over two months now. Need a couple of flange bearings and a belt for the blower on the 312. Got the blower two years ago and havn't had the need for it. maybe next year... Steve

Well, I finally managed to tear-down the old 42" blower. I'd put a couple of used but decent-looking auger bearings in it that I'd had sitting around about a month ago or so. Looks like the one under the driving sprocket pretty much imploded into many, many pieces. Of course, the instant hammering didn't help the other side much either. At least the shafts look OK...not great, but usable. I'm a little leary about leaving home when a big storm is in the offing...the durn county plow will come through and unless I'm home keeping up with things they leave a big, solid wall of ice and packed snow. Oh well...if I can locate some bearings on the shelf in town, perhaps I can entice an old compadre to pick 'em up and bring 'em out...along with the promise of some fine single-malt and a winter bar-b-q of venison tenderloin. At least the stub-shafts aren't too bad...it'll be mighty nice to have the blower back and working. These ol' machines can really spoil a guy! The B-112 does an amazing amount of work with the HD blade, chains, and weights, but it doesn't compare to moving snow with the blower. I've gotten into the habit of not worrying about snow much, even out where the county plow heaps the nasty stuff, 'cause the ol' blower makes short work of it. Using a blade makes the job more difficult, takes twice the time, is harder on the ol' "B", and just doesn't do a fantastic job like the blower. Oh well, with any luck the huge dumping they're calling for tonight won't happen....fingers crossed....just one more day to get parts and I won't care about big snow again, please oh please...

If no L & G dealer is close by, flange bearings from a farm store or bearing house will work. That is where I got mine.

Bob, Yup, we have an excellent bearing, etc. industrial supply outfit in Yakima, what with all the farming, ranching, and agricultural processing businesses around here. Frankly, I figure the bearings from there might be tougher than the OEM's after looking at 'em. Figured a couple of flange bearings and a couple of collar stops, and it's back in business. Too bad it's already snowing again [:0]. There's always tomorrow.

I recently got new bearings for my 42" blower, they are Fafnir Part No. RA100RRB + COL AG, and they include a new eccentric collar to lock the bearing to the shaft.

Hope you got it running good Bob, morning news just showed Portland freezing up at 20 above and Seattle stores selling out of goods. Must be the storm of the decade heading your way. MPH

Thanks Daddycat...Just sent a friend an e-mail to see how things are down in Yakima...if it's not all snowed in, reckon I'll be making one more pass with the front blade and then make a made dash to town for bearings. All things considered I can't really wait around for parts in the mail, or I'd order OEM from one of our club members and/or sponsers....buuuut at this point every hour I don't have the blower working is an added degree of misery ;).

Marty, Yup...western WA and OR are getting spanked. It's magnified for them, 'cause this kind of weather is unusual there. Heck, just an inch of snow will durn near paralyze the Seattle area...hence the fact that just about everything is closed over there. We're pretty used to this kind of stuff on the east slope of the Cascades. Expect news reports of near-catastrophic flooding in the Pacific Northwest towards the end of the week. Supposedly a warm front, what we call a "Pineapple Express," is moving in right behind this winter storm. It won't be melting much at my elevation, but the folks west of the montains and in the lower valleys here will be affected. C'est la vie....off I go after bearings. 'Tis a fine line...it's a 60-mile round trip...need to go slow enough to be safe but fast enough to get back before the snow gets so bad that I can't get back :D. Tally ho

Sounds like you live more 'out in the sticks' then I do Bob, except a 30 mile trip won't get me to a bearing store. MPH

Marty, It's not too bad...I've lived a lot farther out from stuff in Idaho, Montana, and British Columbia. heck, this isn't that far out...only 18 miles one-way to the nearest pub, and 21 miles one-way to the nearest store of any sort. This storm is really dumping though...populated areas get the priority for plows, of course. This is a mighty big county with a mighty small roads budget, so the plow corps is being severely over-worked at the moment. Hasn't been one up this way in a few days...I actually had to use four-wheel-drive for the last eight miles to home today just to bust through the deep stuff. On a positive note, that means I might have enough time to fix the blower and get things cleaned out before a plow comes by and throws a heavy snow-wall up across the end of my road, since I came home with new bearings and flanges...hoorah. Sure glad to be home and away from the nervous drivers though.

Well, looks like your four feet of snow are heading out this way to the Northeast. Hope you get your bearings in before the top of the snow crusts over.